Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start after fuel up

Old 03-27-2011, 04:13 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start after fuel up

Went on a little road trip and stopped for gas. After fueling up, the truck will not start; it will crank and not turn on. The only way I found out to get it going is to put my right foot on the gas, left foot on the brakes and turn the key. The engine will then run and everything is fine. The weird thing is, if I drive around for a bit after and restart the car it'll all start fine with no hiccups. What could be causing this? I mean, only when I fuel up the engine cranks and doesn't turn on but once it's on (with that foot on gas trick) it's good until my next fuel up

And yes, I'm fueling with 91 premium.

Thanks for your inputs,
Ryan
Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you ever find out what occurred?

Interested in your follow-up....
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Not yet, might have to take it to the dealer to check for errors but I'll keep this thread updated once I figure out what's going on. I didn't really bother with it I just went on with the trip and came back everything was fine, as long as I didn't have to fuel up I'm thinking it's maybe a problem with the pressure leaking when the cap is off but I tried just removing the cap and putting it back on but the car started fine. It just happens right after a fuel up, must admit it sounds pretty lame hearing a porsche engine cranking at the gas station but once it goes I rev it to scare off the people looking
Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ryan, I guess we now know why you've been getting that service light illumination the past few days...

I'm willing to bet my money on the fuel pump.

How does that Porsche jingle go? "I know, I know, it's off to the dealer I go...."
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Yep must be that Service message. But, before running to the dealer. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and see if it that helps. If not, I'm guessing it's the purge valve (evap message?). Hopefully it's not the fuel pump since after I fuel up the car and start it with the foot on gas trick, it runs perfectly fine and starts good. So two options here, fuel filter (better be the fuel filter ) or the purge valve. I'll update this tonight with the solution.

Ryan
Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
EB_1920
Cruisin'

Maybe the engine check valve. I have a no-start issue with my cayenne as well, so i've been researching a few different things. Try searching for 'fuel check valve' on rennlist and renntech.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
ryan09
Advanced

The thing is, I don't have any warnings. I get a "Service Now" message when I first turn on the car and that's it. I didn't have time to change the fuel filter today, but I'll be ordering it from the dealer here tomorrow. 100$ for the part.

Ryan
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It is most likely the tank vent check valve. It resides under the intake and is a minor PITA to reach.

I had the same issue about a year ago.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Thanks Scott. I'll be replacing the fuel filter either way since I think it's about time for it to be replaced. If that doesn't fix it, I'll check the tank vent valve. But, I read somewhere that the porsche fuel filter is a "lifetime" filter and doesn't need to be changed, is this true?

Edit: I decided to fuel up 30$ on my way back, and the ****er decided to start right away with no problems. This truck decides when to break and when to work whenever it wants not gonna lie. But, I'm sure the problem will come back in the coming days so gotta get it fixed either way.

Ryan
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, it points toward the tank valve even more.
I say this because I *think* doing a full fillup causes circulation loss in the tank and will not allow fuel to flow. A partial fillup allows fuel to circulate normally. The tank valve allows a full tank to circulate.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
ryan09
Advanced

I'll have it checked today or tomorrow. Right now the car is doing fine but not liking the "service now" message I'm getting when it starts. I'll update this thread when it's fixed. Thanks a lot for the help, it's very appreciated.

Ryan
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
It is most likely the tank vent check valve. It resides under the intake and is a minor PITA to reach.

I had the same issue about a year ago.
+1 Had that issue twice on the old P!G.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
turbo23dog
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had same issue last month in 06CS. Fuel Tank Check Valve. Could smell gas after fill up, like it was running rich. Had to hold pedal to the floor to get the engine to fire up. Dealer replace the check valve and also the spark plugs saying they were fouled due to the check valve causing rich conditions.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the same defect 3 months ago.
The fuel tank check valve was faulty.
Once replaced, no more embarrassment at the gas station.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Thanks guys. How much did it cost for the replacement, was it done at the dealer?

Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wont start after fuel up