Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 info from the source!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts
Default 991 GT3 info from the source!

Just got back from Daytona and my 2010 Gt3 in the Porsche corral with my 4 year old. I managed to corner one of the very very higher ups of Porsche motorsport and he was VERY open with 991 info. He saw my car and I started asking him about the 991 GT3 cup and then going on to what he knew about the street car. What he told me is the following.
1.9A1 motor for sure with 480 hp for GT3
2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims.
3.Weight loss of 180-200 lbs through use of composites.
4.Aboslutely no hybrid tech.He said specifically it doesnt fit the GT3 motif.
5.Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor).
6.Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced.
I wont say the guy's name but he is in a very high position within P-motorsport.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Thanks for the info. Did he mention what motor the 991 racecars will use? How will the 991 be essentially mid-engined? They aren't going to swap the positions of the transaxle and engine are they (like in Cayman)? I think if they move the powertrain forward by a few inches, it will still be very much a rear-engined car, right?

Did he say whether a manual gearbox will still be offered?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If this really happenes and is true...I will be a very very happy guy! PDK in a GT3 car...my dreams will come true!

Probably still 2+ years out though....
Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Just got back from Daytona and my 2010 Gt3 in the Porsche corral with my 4 year old. I managed to corner one of the very very higher ups of Porsche motorsport and he was VERY open with 991 info. He saw my car and I started asking him about the 991 GT3 cup and then going on to what he knew about the street car. What he told me is the following.
2. PDK-S (he used this term twice) which has been tested with the 9A1 for over 4 years he claims.
5.Confirmed no more Gt1 (Mezger) block after GT3 RS LE (he confirmed 4.0 RSR motor).
6.Stressed the move of the motor forward essentially making the car a mid-engine car, even though Porsche will never call it one. He says this will make the car more balanced.
I wont say the guy's name but he is in a very high position within P-motorsport.
Rather "forthcoming" of anyone to be so matter of fact about a car that comes two years (like clockwork) after the initial Carrera.

Cat out of the bag on 4.0 Mezger?

Idiotic to call a car "mid" engine until the (mechanically impossible) feat of having the engine's center of mass ahead of the axle line.

I can't say I have any real problem with the 9A1 donk -- mated to PDK in a Carrera, it's all grins, ear to ear.

Still, if they short shift the GT3 with less than the same 8600 rpm head room, they will be showing the manual shifting gearbox enthusiasts no respect. I say we draw the line here and no more.

The only implausible assertion here is 200lbs (call it 80 kilos) off the curb weight. That would be great (especially if there would then still be 200lbs of froufrou junk to jettison) but there's nothing in the track record of the 997 to suggest Porsche will be sticking the GT2 RS fenders on the GT3 (at least, not initially and not without their hand out for an expensive option) or going through the car and replacing cheap mild steel with expensive aluminum cast and forged components, let alone real composites serving structural purposes replacing heavy metal hardware.

Still, this guy sounds like he's on the right key and here's hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGF1NP-FrCU

Last edited by Carrera GT; 01-30-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:13 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Rosenbergendo; Thank you for posting

IF it would all be correct, and I think it sounds plausible, except for the mid-engine part; I know enough.....
Load up on 4.0 GT1 LE's ...

This makes me very curious
I wonder:
Compared to what? The regular 991? The current 997 GT3RS? The current LE with all the light weight GT2RS parts? Will it be for all 991 GT3's are just one 991 LE version special "delete all" version? Composits where?
With PDK-S? Torque vectoring, SC, instead of a proper LSD it will be faster.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 01-30-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:20 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
What does that mean? If the engine is behind the rear axle, it is not a mid-engine architecture.

Probably what he means is that due to the 991's long wheelbase (100mm longer) the car's CG will move fractionally forward. That does not make it mid-engine though.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:34 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

All evolutionary and not surprising at all. Will be damned fast, and am excitedly looking forward to this new lineage. Fingers crossed on tractability of the powerplant and linearity of the delivery however.

Mid-engine: Relatively maybe, but not in the absolute by any stretch.

Thanks for posting.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FFaust
Mid-engine: Relatively maybe, but not in the absolute by any stretch.
There's no relativity here. The engine is either in front or behind the rear axle. A rear mounted engine does not make a mid-engine car.

The 911, since the first 901, has been less and less rear-biased ever since. And that is not a good thing, at least for the few of us who love an all-in-the-rear architecture. A longer wheelbase is just another step castrating the rear-bias.

Again, it's the tyranny of the masses, those who are not capable of learning to drive an all-in-the rear car forcing the 'balance' upon us. Good grief! Why in hell don't those people force PAG to put a big engine in a Boxster/Cayman or put it in there themselves?
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Does anyone know if the 9A1 design has the same poor Loctite coolant pipes fittings?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by malmasri
Does anyone know if the 9A1 design has the same poor Loctite coolant pipes fittings?
I think not.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:09 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There's no relativity here. The engine is either in front or behind the rear axle. A rear mounted engine does not make a mid-engine car.

The 911, since the first 901, has been less and less rear-biased ever since. And that is not a good thing, at least for the few of us who love an all-in-the-rear architecture. A longer wheelbase is just another step castrating the rear-bias.

Again, it's the tyranny of the masses, those who are not capable of learning to drive an all-in-the rear car forcing the 'balance' upon us. Good grief! Why in hell don't those people force PAG to put a big engine in a Boxster/Cayman or put it in there themselves?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs
Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i dont buy it
Old 01-30-2011, 01:55 AM
beowulf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think the Turbo went AWD b/c of too many crashes with RWD.
I believe this was the case?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the guy was high up, like rk or somebody like that, then they'd put one and one together and work out pretty easily who was at daytona meet. this is pretty sensitive info, pretty lax of him to spill the beans.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:32 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

991 will be an 8 cyl. Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 info from the source!