Sponsored by:

Clutch - So how should it feel

Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch - So how should it feel

All,

Regardless of opinions on clutch skill, I have to say I am now completly confused about how it should feel and would love some guidence. The reason for this is that in 2800 miles I have had three clutch feels based on taking it out and also one replacment. I will try my best to describe the feel and I am just looking to understand the norm.

1. First clutch up to 2500 miles - Feel, strong release and a dificult catch point since it was rather high. For a self adjusting clutch it felt like crap. Also the release seemed to start low but not really catch until high. So I did not have that even pull that everyone talks about. First gear basically felt like a basic catch with a second catch point for full release.
2. Second clutch - Better and more even pull, release point was still past the mid point. The release pressure was less, but I also drove 3 other cars on the lot and they all had very light clutches where the clutch pushed in with ease and released without to much pop, alowing for good control.
3. New tranny (2800 miles) - The release presure still feels the same as the second round, not bad like the first. The engagment is a lot lower and the second half of travel is pretty much empty since its already engaged.

However, my clutch still has a tigher spring back. I was told that the spring has changed and its now tighter, but since I lack much faith in what I am being told, some help from the drivers would help.

It is my first Porsche so I have little to compare it to other than every other clutch of my life has been smoother.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

From your posts on 6speedonline I thought you were going to get rid of the car and get something else. You were adamant about moving away from Porsche. What changed your mind?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
From your posts on 6speedonline I thought you were going to get rid of the car and get something else. You were adamant about moving away from Porsche. What changed your mind?

Great question --- Its a beautiful car that feels amazing to drive. I am sure everyone here can relate to that. Also, as I have been through the process I have moved to a point where I realize this is only busines. Frankly if I were them, I can see why they want to hold the line.

I will file arbitration and in my mind have proved that the shift fork was cast wrong. Under X-ray, they part is a class 6 part with loads of sponge srinkage. Over a grade four is generally considered rejectable for any part under pressure.

Will I win - who knows. Either way I have a whole new power train and what I believe to be a well working car. The rest is just back compensation.

Reallity, I want to be a porsche owner for a long time, this was just a crappy way to start it.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

And I thought the drama was limited to 6speed.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
And I thought the drama was limited to 6speed.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

I just meant the whole thread there. "Something is wrong, what should I do, they fixed it, they didn't fix it, I'm going to sue, I'm going to cost them business, I'm going to get rid of the car, I'm going to keep the car."

I don't understand the need to air every step of the saga. My generation would never think to air dirty laundry, step-by-step as it occurs, to the entire world. Maybe a summary of what transpired afterwards, but the day-by-day blow-by-blow stuff ... I just don't get it. Its a byproduct of the whole blogosphere/twitter/I'm making a sandwich right now internet mentality.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

be careful as he will start giving negative reps to you if you answer his wining.
what a joke...
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by utkinpol
be careful as he will start giving negative reps to you if you answer his wining.
what a joke...

Wow... frankly you can all **** off. Next time you spend 100k and it sits in the shop I hope you think of me.

I came to a couple forums for advice and also because the internet creates a community where its harder to get ripped off.

Frankly I have found some nice replys and help but mostly a bunch of obvious rich fools.

I wont ask any more questions you can be sure of that.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yossarian
Wow... frankly you can all **** off. Next time you spend 100k and it sits in the shop I hope you think of me.

I came to a couple forums for advice and also because the internet creates a community where its harder to get ripped off.

Frankly I have found some nice replys and help but mostly a bunch of obvious rich fools.

I wont ask any more questions you can be sure of that.
To my recollection, you've argued with or disagreed with nearly all the advice we've given. Then you kept the car after telling us for weeks how you were getting rid of it. What do you expect?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by gravedgr
To my recollection, you've argued with or disagreed with nearly all the advice we've given. Then you kept the car after telling us for weeks how you were getting rid of it. What do you expect?
To be fair the process is not done and I have kept the car to date. It takes time to get an exray scan on a part and prove its faulty. I got a lot a variating advice some of which I took.

I think that I understand how unlikely the faulty part is so I am more open to the idea that pna is just following a script.

The above was just a continuation of a question so I can understand the car mechanically. Instead of a simple... hey bummer your still having issues... I got these replies.

Getting more rational should not be crapped on. I freely admitted that I originally over reacted.

However if I can't post a question without harrasment then thanks but no thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Isn't this question a little difficult for anyone to answer? Everyone is going to have a completely different way of describing possibly the same thing.

For example, list for us the other cars you have owned for a lengthy period of time and got used to the clutch pedal feel. Perhaps we can better answer by comparing the 997 clutch to one of them. Sorry if I'm late to the game--what car do you have? Year and model.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Isn't this question a little difficult for anyone to answer? Everyone is going to have a completely different way of describing possibly the same thing.

For example, list for us the other cars you have owned for a lengthy period of time and got used to the clutch pedal feel. Perhaps we can better answer by comparing the 997 clutch to one of them. Sorry if I'm late to the game--what car do you have? Year and model.
2010 carrera s. If someone has driven multiple it should not be too hard to describe. It is relative but we can slays use the Honda civic comparison.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

So you have a 2010 Carrera S. How many miles are on it?

What other cars with manual shifters have you extensive time in? i.e., over 20,000 each.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Lubrecon
Advanced

Is this thread in code???
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
yossarian
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So you have a 2010 Carrera S. How many miles are on it?

What other cars with manual shifters have you extensive time in? i.e., over 20,000 each.
This car has 3k on it. I had a bmw. 328 (2008) about 20k miles; a jeep with about 30k and a Saab 93 with 90k. Multiple motorcycles not worth listing.

I would figure that a p car has a certain describable clutch feel. I could be wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch - So how should it feel