Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

23 yrs old, need Repair/maintenance schedules and costs for 07/08 Cayman S

Old 10-24-2010, 02:04 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23 yrs old, need Repair/maintenance schedules and costs for 07/08 Cayman S

I'm looking at all possibilities for a used/new car in a few months. I've noticed a 2007/08 Cayman S is around my price range, and was wondering what some common problems and repair costs for these cars. I also would like to know if there is a maintenance schedule somewhere online, or somewhere I could estimate the costs of maintenance. Also, is there an ipod adapter I could purchase so I can control my ipod using the head unit? I noticed only the 2009 Caymans come w/ that.

FYI, I'm currently 23 and working, with no liabilities (living at home for the time being). I know most of you are older with more experience, and I needed suggestions on repair costs because I am always planning for the future. Please don't bash me regarding my age, I am mentioning this because at this early point in my life repair costs are important. The car also will not be garaged (which may be a bad idea), so please give me suggestions and thoughts, maybe a car cover is ideal?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The normal routine maintenance will cost around $6-800 for a minor at the dealer, $1,000-$1,400 for the major. Figure $70-$200 for an oil change every 5k...and the $70 is if you do it yourself. Scare you yet? Then go price tires...$800-$1,600. And the rears go every 8-20k.

Since I don't know where you live or the weather there, figure a Noah fabric car cover at around $200. Mine gets me through snow and ice and all the normal weather.

Yes, there are installable iPod adapters.

At your age I owned an Alfa Spyder which ate me alive in repair costs and whose engine eventually blew. Now if that should happen to a Cayman, figure $7-16k.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting oil changes and repair costs to be that high. I live near New York City... the winters here vary. I own a car now that's FWD and it has gotten me through 2 winters already. It's good to know even though the Cayman is RWD, it got you thru snow/ice conditions.

I consider myself a slow driver, I don't tend to beat on engines, so that is why I wanted to know about common problems. I've heard of the rear main seal (RMS) going bad on older Porsches, but not sure if they occur on the newer ones. I know you mentioned the engine blowing on your Alfa Spyder, how often is that the case with a Cayman (2006+) ?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by remiks3
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting oil changes and repair costs to be that high. I live near New York City... the winters here vary. I own a car now that's FWD and it has gotten me through 2 winters already. It's good to know even though the Cayman is RWD, it got you thru snow/ice conditions.

I consider myself a slow driver, I don't tend to beat on engines, so that is why I wanted to know about common problems. I've heard of the rear main seal (RMS) going bad on older Porsches, but not sure if they occur on the newer ones. I know you mentioned the engine blowing on your Alfa Spyder, how often is that the case with a Cayman (2006+) ?

The Cayman S is prone to the normal ills that befall a car as it ages and accumulates miles.

My 2008 Cayman S experience only lasted a few weeks but I've put over 236K miles on my 02 Boxster and replaced up to the nearly 80K mile mark nothing but vital fluids and wear items like tires, brakes (pads/discs), plugs, serpentine belt, and engine air filter and cabin air filter.

At the 80K mile mark the AOS, then a wheel bearing, an O2 sensor needed doing.

Later on another OS sensor or two required replacing, the MAF, water pump, fuel pump, some switches (brake light, clutch interlock, cruise disable), passenger door lock, ignition switch, battery, windshielf (picked up a chip that developed into one big crack). Rear plastic window (though this is a 2002 or earlier Boxster issue). Let's see, what else? Oh yes: Water pump and coolant tank and I've worn out several keys. I'm forgetting something. Oh yes, a new coolant cap and a new oil filler tube cap. Both at different times developed a leak.

Oh, the Boxster needed an RMS but the RMS R&R was covered by the new car warranty and happened around the 25K mile mark.

RMS of course is a Porsche specific problem. Generally the leak -- if it appears at all -- is not severe and some wait until the clutch needs doing.

Car is on its original engine, clutch and various other hardware/running gear. Original CV boots even, though I think the S models go through these a bit quicker due to more axle deflection.

Regular servicing with reasonable oil/filter service schedules (I follow a 5K mile oil/filter service schedule) and some paying attention to small problems and some luck should see the Cayman require nothing extraordinary in the way of repairs.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 AM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by remiks3

Note: if you intend to drive in the winter, you will either need a set of winter/snow tires, or switch to some all-seasons.

The RMS problem has been very rare on the Caymans. If cared for, they are very reliable cars, and even with frequent flogging on the track, many owners rarely have any major issues. Rountine maintenance though, as noted by others, is not cheap (though you can save some $$ if you DIY).

If you are concerned about potential maintenance and repair costs, you might want to consider saving some money by getting a used non-S Cayman, preferably with a Porsche CPO warranty, which should provide some increased security for a few years.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by KS-CS
Note: if you intend to drive in the winter, you will either need a set of winter/snow tires, or switch to some all-seasons.

The RMS problem has been very rare on the Caymans. If cared for, they are very reliable cars, and even with frequent flogging on the track, many owners rarely have any major issues. Rountine maintenance though, as noted by others, is not cheap (though you can save some $$ if you DIY).

If you are concerned about potential maintenance and repair costs, you might want to consider saving some money by getting a used non-S Cayman, preferably with a Porsche CPO warranty, which should provide some increased security for a few years.
I intend to drive it on good winter days, i.e. when there's no snow/ice. Otherwise I'd take my other car...
Regardless though, I do not tend to beat on cars and do not plan to take the car to the track. I just plan to enjoy it on the open road when possible. So Cayman S's require more maintenance? And from your experience, what does the CPO warranty cover (if you've bought a CPO Porsche) ?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't stretch yourself far enough to be concerned about common repair bills. It will be much harder when something is needed.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

The CPO cars have a bumber to bumper warranty from Porsche (same as new cars) for 2 yrs or 50k miles, its definitely worth it, you get all the benfits (free towing and a loaner)
As far a costs learn how to do your own oil changes or find someone who can help, for maintenance, tires, etc plan on saving about $200 a month...
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
The CPO cars have a bumber to bumper warranty from Porsche (same as new cars) for 2 yrs or 50k miles, its definitely worth it, you get all the benfits (free towing and a loaner)
As far a costs learn how to do your own oil changes or find someone who can help, for maintenance, tires, etc plan on saving about $200 a month...
Everyone on this thread has been extremely helpful. I'm gonna wait more than a "few" months before I go car shopping. From what I've heard the Cayman is definitely on my list! Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Unless you have a steady job that you know you won't get fired from I'd be careful with getting a car like the Cayman or it's sibling Boxster. See where you really stand in your finances and the yearly cost to own for a car like this to better make a decision.

And your age...eh, I bought my 987S new in 2006 at the age of 24 I also paid all my maintenance costs in Euro! I made it work but only after real number crunching.

If you want the maintenance breakdown you can read the checklists here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Maintenance is one thing to account for, but once you take it on the track you'll be into an entirely cost level. I started tracking my Porsche, purchased used at age 23, when I was 24. I'd probably be retired by now if I hadn't gotten into track then racing...
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Unless you have a steady job that you know you won't get fired from I'd be careful with getting a car like the Cayman or it's sibling Boxster. See where you really stand in your finances and the yearly cost to own for a car like this to better make a decision.

And your age...eh, I bought my 987S new in 2006 at the age of 24 I also paid all my maintenance costs in Euro! I made it work but only after real number crunching.

If you want the maintenance breakdown you can read the checklists here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/
I actually got a hold of the 2008 Cayman major/minor maintenance checklists, as well as the owner's manual (for recommended maintenance) on www.planet-9.com. I assume it is the same for the 2009+ models as well. I'd rather plan ahead and do number crunching like you did, than be unable to maintain the car upon purchasing it.

Originally Posted by mikefocke
The normal routine maintenance will cost around $6-800 for a minor at the dealer, $1,000-$1,400 for the major. Figure $70-$200 for an oil change every 5k...and the $70 is if you do it yourself. Scare you yet? Then go price tires...$800-$1,600. And the rears go every 8-20k.
Mikefocke's above calculations are very accurate, as I did estimate the maintenance costs based on the PDF's I looked through.....according to the maintenance checklist major maintenance should be done at 36/72k/... miles or 3/6/... years.

Not sure if I'm being extremely unreasonable, but in order to get what I want in life I plan ahead.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Good thinking. Think of crap like this too...I've had large bolts pierce my rear tire on two separate occasions in two different countries. Each instance required buying new tires for the rear because of how severe the damage are you readily capable of forking over $600 for new rear tires at any random moment?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 PM
remiks3
AutoX

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Good thinking. Think of crap like this too...I've had large bolts pierce my rear tire on two separate occasions in two different countries. Each instance required buying new tires for the rear because of how severe the damage are you readily capable of forking over $600 for new rear tires at any random moment?
Haha, yeah those are the things I am already saving up for, even though I haven't even planned to buy the Cayman S yet. From all the stuff I've already heard, I'm gonna save up and wait until this summer. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!! I'm saving this thread.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Having owned both, my experiance is there is no difference between maintenance costs of a base vs S. My first Pcar was a new 2005 987 base Boxster and was my daily driver. 16K miles and two years later it still had the original tires with slightly less than half the tread left and total maintenance costs was about $500 for three oil changes at the dealer. My next Pcar was a new 2007 Cayman S that I still own. It is my weekend car, spends weekdays covered in the garage, only has 7K miles on it, the original tires have at least 2/3 of their tread left and my total maintenance costs have been about $500 for three oil changes at the dealer. I broke them in easy and never had to add any oil between changes on either of them. Neither of them ever DE or AX.

I enjoy occasional spirited driving but outgrew beating on cars ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 23 yrs old, need Repair/maintenance schedules and costs for 07/08 Cayman S