Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you unlock the steering wheel without a key....

Old 10-06-2003, 05:51 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you unlock the steering wheel without a key....

I am working on parting out an early 944. The owner no longer has a key. I need to get the car into the garage on a lift to pull the engine out. You guys know of an easy way to steer the car without the key? Breaking something in the column isn't a problem.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:59 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

The thing that actually locks it is the ignition switch. I don't have my car near me, so I can't check for sure, but this should work:

Take off the steering wheel and turn signal assembly. Then you'll just see the metal housing for the plastic ignition switch. Take that off, remove the ignition switch, and you can then just slap the steering wheel back on and turn it.

That *should* work, and you could still start the car by just having the ignition switch hanging to the side.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

an all older model cars(dont know about p-cars)if you pull hard enough on the wheel it SHOULD come off
Old 10-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ashton, there is a big nut holding the Porsche wheel on. Please, no advice unless you have some idea what you are talking about. You might have some guy reefing on his wheel and causing a hernia or something!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Its a 24 mm nut holding the steering wheel. There is a 6 mm allen at the left bottom of the dash with respect to the steering wheel. Take that allen off and follow the directions iloveporsches posted above. Then, pry the clamping part of the ignition lock metal assembly apart and pull the whole lock assembly off the steering column. If you need to start it, there is a philips screw at the back part of the assembly and you can take the plastic portion off to use a flathead screwdriver and start the engine. If you know what you are doing, you can dent pull the ignition lock cylinder off the column but I hate hacking stuff apart. You never know when you will need a lock assembly when you buy a theft recovery.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:18 AM
Geo
Race Director

Uh, guys......

Did any of you actually read the question? What does removing the steering wheel have to do with unlocking it?

Michael, my race car came from a boneyard and there were no keys. They simply yanked out the lock mechanism.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:52 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Geo, did you read mine?

the only way I know how to take out the ignition switch (which locks the steering column) is by taking off the steering wheel, the turn signal/wiper assembly, and finally the thing that holds the ignition switch. Once that's out, you simply can put the steering wheel back on the column and you're good to go.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:11 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Geo, did they pop the cylinder out? Do you have to use a flathead screwdriver of the right size to start your car? If not, then someone removed the steering wheel to remove the lock assembly. Also, for you to be able to drive it, you have to keep the lock assembly in after you gut it out since the assembly also centers the steering shaft in the middle of the steer column housing. A recommendation for giving advice is unless you have done it, classify it as an opinion so it does not confuse the person asking the question. You are welcome to PM me and I can give you my phone # so I can walk you through it.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

i MEANT unlocking it
i thought it should break the holding thingy or something
ive seen the nut
yes its big
pull it to the left or right is what i meant
Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

I actually could use one of those lock assemblies, because I stripped the threads on one of the three screw holes that hold in the turn signals / windshield wiper switch.

I wish I had taken a picture when I removed mine. I would say that you need to remove the steering wheel, turn signal assemblies, and the allen head bolt that kind of "pinches" the lock assembly onto the shaft.

To remove the lock cylinder (when I changed it), I had to drill a small hole in the lock assembly so that I could push in the metal spring tab that holds in the cylinder. I _think_ the cylinder just slides out then.

Then look into the hole, and you'll see the lock pin. This needs to be pushed in to get the gear assembly out. I always used the ignition key in the lock cylinder to push this in, so I'm not sure about how far it needs to go in. It's totally overkill (but easier than using your hands), but I used a gear puller to slide the assembly off the steering column. You need to unplug the connector for the "electrical" part of the ignition switch while you're sliding the assembly off the steering column.

Then I agree, the wheel can be put back on to maneuver the car if necessary.

Kevin
Old 10-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
Uh, guys......

Did any of you actually read the question? What does removing the steering wheel have to do with unlocking it?

Michael, my race car came from a boneyard and there were no keys. They simply yanked out the lock mechanism.
People are trying to show how to unlock the steering without destroying the parts he's trying to sell.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:52 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

michael, you can reach back up under the dash with the DME out and reach the ignition switch to pull it off. that should render you 'good to go'. if not you will need to resort to removal of the steering wheel.

-Michael-
Old 10-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Peckster
People are trying to show how to unlock the steering without destroying the parts he's trying to sell.
He said breaking something in the steering column isn't a problem.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:40 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Right, I wasn't planning on selling the ingnition. But it worked anyway. Took the steering wheel off, took the bolt out that holds the ignition in place, tapped the ignition off, put the wheel back on and I was set!

Thanks guys
Old 10-08-2003, 01:53 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Legoland951
Geo, did they pop the cylinder out?
Yes

Do you have to use a flathead screwdriver of the right size to start your car?
Well, if I attempted to start it I would. But, I'll probably pull the engine, gearbox, and suspension and rework a bunch of stuff before I try start it (putting it all back of course). I won't be using a screwdriver however. I'll just have a couple of toggle switches and a pushbutton to start. Before you think this is ricey, A) it's a race car, and B) we are required to remove the steering lock anyway.

If not, then someone removed the steering wheel to remove the lock assembly.
Nope. Quite certain that was not done.

Also, for you to be able to drive it, you have to keep the lock assembly in after you gut it out since the assembly also centers the steering shaft in the middle of the steer column housing.
Can you elaborate? My lock assembly is out. You piqued my curiousity and I just went out and looked at my car. I don't see how the lock cylinder being out makes a bit of difference. In fact, it appears that the lock cylinder housing is attached over the tube the steering shaft runs through. There is also what looks like a bearing or bushing on the end by the steering wheel (I removed it while stripping the interior). I'd send some digital images, but I can't get my new bloody digital camera to transfer photos to the hard drive. Grrrrr......

A recommendation for giving advice is unless you have done it, classify it as an opinion so it does not confuse the person asking the question.
No need to be condescending. I've been around mailing lists and forums for some time. I'm considered one of the gurus on a few of them and I subscribe to what you just wrote.

While I did not in fact remove the lock cylinder from my car myself (it was done just before I picked it up), I know the steering wheel wasn't removed, the lock cylinder was yanked out (and is forever gone), and that the steering wheel turns freely now, which was Michael's objective.

You are welcome to PM me and I can give you my phone # so I can walk you through it.
I may need to discuss the centering issue I guess. I don't see how it actually is an issue and that does concern me. But I have no issues with my steering shaft at this time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you unlock the steering wheel without a key....