Sponsored by:

Remedy for baked on brake dust?

Old 06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remedy for baked on brake dust?

Hi All,

I am usually excellent about brake dust, but a week snuck up on me and now its baked in. What should i use to clean it? A friend suggested cleaner wax. Will this work? a regular wax did not...
Old 06-06-2010, 05:57 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Whenever I wash my car, I usually start by spraying on a little P21s gel wheel cleaner and letting it sit for a while before going at it with a sponge. I've had some pretty heavy dust before and it came right off after a bit of elbow grease.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Wheel cleaners are excellent for this, followed by wax. BUT, it will take a lot of elbow grease to catch up on that stuff. (Hence the reason we shouldn't let it get that far).
Old 06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A week of brake dust deposits shouldn't be too bad.
The previous suggestion of P21S gel is a good one. In fact, I usually spray once, let sit, then spray again, let sit, then work off. Remember to use the gel and not the regular watery P21S.
I hate brake dust knowing that it'll deposit itself onto areas where I won't be able to get to unless I remove the wheel. I just change all the pads to some low dust pads. Maybe won't stop as good as Pagid's but I don't track the car so no worries.
Akebono or PBR are what I usually use. So much easier on the wheels and elbow!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works everytime for baked on dust and grime. Can buy it about anywhere, or similar wadding products.
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Put RejeX wax on your wheels, and you'll never need wheel cleaner again. Just warm soapy water.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by reynwerkes
A week of brake dust deposits shouldn't be too bad.
The previous suggestion of P21S gel is a good one. In fact, I usually spray once, let sit, then spray again, let sit, then work off. Remember to use the gel and not the regular watery P21S.
I hate brake dust knowing that it'll deposit itself onto areas where I won't be able to get to unless I remove the wheel. I just change all the pads to some low dust pads. Maybe won't stop as good as Pagid's but I don't track the car so no worries.
Akebono or PBR are what I usually use. So much easier on the wheels and elbow!
Agreed. I actually never had any issues removing brake dust after a week. Even after a month, it comes off with some wheel cleaner, elbow grease.

BTW, how's the P21S gel different than regular one? Just stronger? I haven't used the gel, so curious. Wish it was a bit cheaper, I once went through one spray in one wash of a super dirty set of wheels!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 707 Likes on 389 Posts

The gel "clings" better. I only use the gel now, it makes no sense to use the liquid one which simply washes down the side of the wheel faster, given that the gel is available.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by jugger911
Works everytime for baked on dust and grime. Can buy it about anywhere, or similar wadding products.
I can understand Nevr-Dull working well on brake dust, but isn't it likely to damage the clearcoat on the wheel?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:11 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed. I actually never had any issues removing brake dust after a week. Even after a month, it comes off with some wheel cleaner, elbow grease.

BTW, how's the P21S gel different than regular one? Just stronger? I haven't used the gel, so curious. Wish it was a bit cheaper, I once went through one spray in one wash of a super dirty set of wheels!
The gel I believe is both more concentrated and just thicker. It allows the solution to stay on the wheels instead of just running off like a liquid. It still runs, but not nearly as much as the regular cleaner.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I use the Porsche wheel cleaner. It works great. It looks like P21S gel. It costs about the same or even a bit less form Sunset Imports.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

I use Simple Green in a spray bottle. Spray a little on, wait a minute or two and then a little gentle scrubbing with a long handled brush dipped in warm water gets it all off. Rinse with the hose and you are done. Economical ($10 a gallon at Home Depot) easy and safe. Couldn't be better

I also put Rejex on my wheels and that may be making it easier too. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
I can understand Nevr-Dull working well on brake dust, but isn't it likely to damage the clearcoat on the wheel?
swajames, ditto...I do use the Eagle One wadding on bare metals (exhaust tips, etc.) but didn't want to take it to clear coated metals...might be a bit harsh? Your tag line sounds familiar - were you over at the E60 or M3Post forums?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
reynwerkes
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The gel "clings" better. I only use the gel now, it makes no sense to use the liquid one which simply washes down the side of the wheel faster, given that the gel is available.
+1!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:58 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum? Contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes."

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions..._backup=danger

One good test is to try your favorite cleaning product on a sheet of aluminum foil. Leave it on there for 10-20 mins. Some of them will surprise you. Whatever you use rinse with plenty of water. Because some of the cleaner solution can get on unprotected metal parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remedy for baked on brake dust?