gt3 mk1 vs gt3 mk2

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM
gorichville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt3 mk1 vs gt3 mk2

HI
I would like to know how good in terms of performance are the mk2 gt3 to the mk1. Those who have bought the new Gt3 mk2 who used a gt3 mk1 for a year or more, can you please tell me how the gt3 mk2 drives in relation to the mk1. 1. speed 2. steering wheel feel 3.ride comfort 4. overall experience ....at the end was it worth the extra cash ..... thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

was it worth the extra cash - probably not but it's a personal thing ... can you say "staggering depreciation"

comparing the .1 to the .2 the .2 has pretty much cured the .1's notciable initial turn in understeer (with the new suspension setup inspired from the GT2 + PDEM) cant say I have driven fast enough to feel the effects of the additional aero improvements, overall the ride seems smoother (highway) without surrendering any of the sure footedness of the car.

The new CL wheels look even better in the flesh!

Can I tell the difference between the 3.6 and the 3.8 ... not without doing a side-by-side shootout!

The new wing is a lot more intrusive into the rear view than the .1 ... thankfully (and perhaps why?) the
side mirrors are larger so I find myself using those more ... I cant decide if I miss the sunroof or not, but I dont miss SC ...

car sounds much the same (awesome)

front axle lift is a big plus for navigating driveways and speed bumps ... including the "18 wheeler" air brake decompression noises ...

haven't played with SC, or SC+TC disable ... cant say how that goes

Bluetooth integration is nice, since I dont have PCM I cant say what the iPod integ is like, but I kinda wish I had it for those commute moments ...

overall it's an incremental improvement over the .1 ... which is still an awesome car for road or track,
lets face it anything with the GT3 badge is pretty damn good ...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

I drove many of the .1 versions (never owned one) and decided to purchase a .2 about 5 months back. I love it, but probably wouldn't say it is that much better in terms of performance. I really bought it for the non-driving features over the .1. Things like LED lights, redesigned front/rear bumpers, better looking PCM, bluetooth (which is sort of a joke in these cars especially at full throttle), etc.

I'm certainly happy with the car, but if it was mainly a track car, I would have gone with a .1 without hesitation. $40k less and spend a few grand to iron out the suspension setup.

Also, the CL wheels look cool, but are a PITA especially if you are DIY'er, as you need special (costly) tools and the center locks are expensive if you don't want the stock gray color.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brim
I drove many of the .1 versions (never owned one) and decided to purchase a .2 about 5 months back. I love it, but probably wouldn't say it is that much better in terms of performance. I really bought it for the non-driving features over the .1. Things like LED lights, redesigned front/rear bumpers, better looking PCM, bluetooth (which is sort of a joke in these cars especially at full throttle), etc.

I'm certainly happy with the car, but if it was mainly a track car, I would have gone with a .1 without hesitation. $40k less and spend a few grand to iron out the suspension setup.

Also, the CL wheels look cool, but are a PITA especially if you are DIY'er, as you need special (costly) tools and the center locks are expensive if you don't want the stock gray color.
agreed about the CL wheels ... $325 wrench, $5k+ rims and not a lot (yet) to choose from ...
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
was it worth the extra cash - probably not but it's a personal thing ... can you say "staggering depreciation"

comparing the .1 to the .2 the .2 has pretty much cured the .1's notciable initial turn in understeer (with the new suspension setup inspired from the GT2 + PDEM) cant say I have driven fast enough to feel the effects of the additional aero improvements, overall the ride seems smoother (highway) without surrendering any of the sure footedness of the car.

The new CL wheels look even better in the flesh!

Can I tell the difference between the 3.6 and the 3.8 ... not without doing a side-by-side shootout!

The new wing is a lot more intrusive into the rear view than the .1 ... thankfully (and perhaps why?) the
side mirrors are larger so I find myself using those more ... I cant decide if I miss the sunroof or not, but I dont miss SC ...

car sounds much the same (awesome)

front axle lift is a big plus for navigating driveways and speed bumps ... including the "18 wheeler" air brake decompression noises ...

haven't played with SC, or SC+TC disable ... cant say how that goes

Bluetooth integration is nice, since I dont have PCM I cant say what the iPod integ is like, but I kinda wish I had it for those commute moments ...

overall it's an incremental improvement over the .1 ... which is still an awesome car for road or track,
lets face it anything with the GT3 badge is pretty damn good ...
Larry,

How do Mk 1 owners cure the understeer? Do Mk 2 cars have smaller or bigger anti-roll bars?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by silverboy
How do Mk 1 owners cure the understeer?
Just fling it into the corner like you're autocrossing and if that doesn't do it, trailbrake.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

any newer GT3 is going to be an evolution from the previous ones- you can't expect HUGE gains from 15 hp here and there, but with these types of cars the beauty is in the feel. I'm looking forward to taking my stock RS on the track in a few weeks and giving a detailed report. I personally felt the only issue with the previous RS that couldn't be cured with good "stock" adjustments was the front springs- which at super high load courses like infineon would actually overcompress and lead to tire contact with the fenders
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
any newer GT3 is going to be an evolution from the previous ones- you can't expect HUGE gains from 15 hp here and there, but with these types of cars the beauty is in the feel. I'm looking forward to taking my stock RS on the track in a few weeks and giving a detailed report. I personally felt the only issue with the previous RS that couldn't be cured with good "stock" adjustments was the front springs- which at super high load courses like infineon would actually overcompress and lead to tire contact with the fenders
In regards to the front springs in the 997.1 cars being too soft, was this corrected in the 997.2 cars? Anyone know the spring rates between the two?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverboy
Larry,

How do Mk 1 owners cure the understeer? Do Mk 2 cars have smaller or bigger anti-roll bars?
Well I dont play a suspension engineer on TV but ...

my understanding is that the Porsche suspension guys put a lot of work into the suspension on the GT2, and took much (if not all) of that experience into the
997.2's suspension.

In particular the 997.2 inherits the GT2 rear (and possibly the front also) sway bar.

Additionally of course they changed the springs (fewer windings, lighter, not sure how that effects either their effective spring rate or their (de)compression behavior).

A number of people (including myself) retrofitted the rear GT2 sway bar to our 997.1 cars and found it to be beneficial in reducing the understeer ...

It's a simple (DIY) and cheap modification, all you require is the bar itself, 2x rubber bushings, the "U" clamps (optional) and some synthetic suspension
lubricant which you can buy from Amazon.com!

Quick Reply: gt3 mk1 vs gt3 mk2