Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

East Coast Engine Builders?

Old 08-27-2003, 10:24 AM
Roamer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default East Coast Engine Builders?

I live in WNY and am looking for a highly skilled and reputable engine builder who is "relatively" close. I am looking to build a high compression 3.4 from my stock 3.2. It would be preferred if the facility was like Rennsport, a full service facility.

Thank you.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Roamer:

If I might offer some advice,......

Geographical location should never be a factor in deciding where to have a good motor done. One should make this critical decision based on:

1) Competance

2) Quality of execution

3) Documentable results (dyno sheets)

4) Integrity & honesty

5) Budget

One should receive a rebuilt-as-new motor that has been dynoed and the rings seated so that all you need to do is reinstall it.

Your performance goals and your budget will define what you do and how you do it,...
Old 08-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Roamer
Instructor

I know Steve, I just think sending a motor to Oregon starts getting pricey!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL,...Not anywhere near as pricey as having someone cut corners or do something wrong, not to be discovered until MUCH later,......

There is a lot at stake here, regardless of who you choose to do the job.

P.S:...There are no sales taxes in Oregon and this can cover the costs of shipping,....
Old 08-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Roamer
Instructor

LOL. Steve, I will give you a call. At this stage I am debating between buidling the motor myself or using a shop. I am also trying to estimate costs and set a roadmap for my goals.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:51 PM
timlooney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All geographical issues aside who is a good engine builder?

I am in a similar situation where I need to do my motor. I have no problem rebuilding it myself, time is the issue. I need to decide what my time is worth. I am figuring that it could cost up to $6000+time if I do it and up to $10000 if I send it out. The big question is where do you send it? I have heard mixed reviews about some builders that advertise in Excellence.

This is the way I look at it: If you had a chance to send your motor to one of the best shops or a local guy with limited experience and the difference was about 10% (shipping) which one would you choose?

Anyone have any recommendations? East coast would be great but not required.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:53 AM
jet911
Pro

Tim,
I would go back and re-read this thread. If I were doing a re-build, there is this guy in Portland Oregon - Steve Weiner of Rennsport Systems, who, from what I hear, does excellent work. It will cost you to ship your motor to him, however with no sales tax in the Oregon, you will basically have your shipping paid for.

I would seek out a shop that works only on P-cars. It has been my experience that the "German - European only" type shops do not have the "passion" nor the expertise to complete the job to, at least, my expectations. I learned this from having a "Porsche Factory Trained Wrench" do my tranny. Well in the end, I found out that he was a BMW freak and had only done a couple of 915 tranny's. It appeared he got a Porsche Certification only to have it hanging on the wall of his shop - he does not have a passion for Porsches, only wants the dollars to repair them. After a year, I'm still disappointed in the shifting. It does not shift as well now as it did before I had the rebuild done (except I can now down shift into first). I took it in to have the 1st - 2nd syncro, dog teeth and slider replaced and was talked into a total rebuild - my mistake.

Sorry to ramble - Anyway good luck and be picky!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:07 PM
spyderman
Instructor

hey,
i work at a shop on the east coast where we work on only porsches. we do every thing from oil changes to engine rebuilds. we have done a few of the 3.2/3.4 conversions over the years. If you have any question e mail me at NITRO5384@yahoo.com If you are planing on rebuilding it yourself, then you should invest in a book called "how to rebuild and modify porsche 911 engines" by Wayne R. Dempsey. it has a lot of little tricks and tips to help you on your way when rebuilding you engine. even if you dont rebuild it yourself, it is still a good read and you will have a better understanding of the work being done.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Rouxzy
Advanced

I am getting ready to either rebuild or replace. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve. The guy knows his stuff and has the passion for doing it right. If your spending $thousands on an engine don't cut just a couple hundred and get something that you'll regret.
Tom
Old 09-04-2003, 06:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll vouch for Steve.....

Frankly - if you live on the East Coast - the money spent shipping an engine cross country will be "cheap" in comparision to trying to get a local "builder" to make good on what they "hack". If you are serious about your engine and the quality of work - send it to Steve at Rennsport.....

BTW: Who the hell is "spyderman"? Spyderman - take a look at the "Rennlist Sponsors" - and "Wayne R. Dempsey" (aka "PelicanParts") is a Rennlist Sponsor. I would know...
Old 09-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

If you check with people in your local PCA region, you may find local shops that actually do a good job rebuilding engines..... especially in the Boston area.......
-Eric
Old 09-05-2003, 03:27 AM
lateapex911
Intermediate

I would give Rick Deman a call. He is in Nyack NY. He has a Porsche only shop, many bays, and a dyno. And a wealth of knowledge. On top of that, he's a nice guy. I like hanging out at his shop, which i rarely get to do!

His website is:
http://www.demanmotorsport.com

or call 845 727 3070

Tell him Jake sent you!
Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

The last thing I would let get in my way for an engine build is geography.
Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland Oregon
He's the man -
or Andial
Old 09-05-2003, 12:40 PM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Default Motor builders

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing your homework to find a good motor builder- good for you. I can personally recommend a shop in Framingham, MA called Rensport. (And no I don't work there or anything ) You should talk to Rene there. I've been going there for years and I can't say enough about him. Honest, very knowledgeable, 30 years experience, and they only do 911s. Their work is top shelf.

Here's his website:
http://www.rensport.com/

Tell him I sent you.
-DanO
Old 09-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

Autohaus in Chatum NJ does really top notch work.If you don't belong to the club join and learn about all the porsche related resources out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: East Coast Engine Builders?