Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Oil Change process explained

Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
racer10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 Oil Change process explained

Hi I am new to the porsche world with my recent purchase of a 2009 c4s. I would love to do my own oil and filter changes as I did on my corvettes but I am not sure I understand the right steps , particularly with the filter on the engine top. Can anyone walk me thru the steps ,the parts and any special tools I would need. Much appreciated if anyone knows, thankyou.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Let me be the first to suggest that you do a search within the Rennlist on that very topic. The other issue someone else is bound to get after you about,--posting a photo of your car, etc.

The oil change issue gets revisited quite often and it's a lot easier for everyone if you simply search for it. Here--I found it in about 45 seconds:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-a.html
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
racer10
AutoX

Thankyou for the advise on the picture of the car I did not understand the protocol. Also I already read the post you found but it is not for a 997.2 model rather it is for a 997 in other words not a DFI engine . Thanks anyway for your attempt to help me.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by racer10
Also I already read the post you found but it is not for a 997.2 model rather it is for a 997 in other words not a DFI engine . Thanks anyway for your attempt to help me.
It's the same process you dimwit. Drain the oil, replace the filter, add new oil. The critical part is the adding of oil, which this procedure covers quite thoroughly, if I say so myself, and in precise detail covering the intricacies of the electronic oil gauge which you need to be mindful of.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I give up! I thought it was obvious, too.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
racer10
AutoX

I looked at the thread that you both mention and was not sure and did not want to make a mistake. Rather than give me advise on protocol you both ought to look at the posting rules on this forum yourselves my reading of them indicates that no insults are tolerated. What a way to treat someone new to the Porsche world and this forum. Thanks anyway for the help.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a dumb question at all, the procedure IS NOT THE SAME as 997 gen1...

Oil filter is on top, in engine compartment, not underneath.

Someone asks an honest question and he gets grief, why in god's green earth would someone expend the energy to write some totally unnecessary insult to a perfectly legitimate inquiry?

Trending Topics

Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
OCBen
Banned

I looked at the thread that you both mention and was not sure and did not want to make a mistake. Rather than give me advise on protocol you both ought to look at the posting rules on this forum yourselves my reading of them indicates that no insults are tolerated. What a way to treat someone new to the Porsche world and this forum. Thanks anyway for the help.
Well if we hurt your feelings, I apologize. I didn't think Corvette owners were so sensitive.

But you asked a very dumb question for someone who claims to have always done his "own oil changes on all the corvettes I owned." I saw that you posted in this thread before starting this one, so I assumed you had read the posts in that short thread that explains that the oil change process is the same except for the location of the oil filter. And for someone who's done as many oil changes on different cars as you claim to have done - piece o' cake, right?

So what kind of response did you expect to get for starting a thread asking a question you already knew the answer to?

There's also an unwritten rule here. Try to help yourself before asking others to spoon feed you.

Last edited by OCBen; 06-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Racer10 - please don't let OCBen color your view of these forums. The rest of them, thousands actually, are friendly and helpful. Ben is well, .. special.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Actually, the procedure is precisely the same as the 997.1 cars,--if you have a GT3. The GT3 and 997 TT have their oil filters up in the same approximate position as the filters are found on the 997.2 carreras.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Hi I am new to the porsche world with my recent purchase of a 2009 c4s. I would love to do my own oil and filter changes as I did on my corvettes but I am not sure I understand the right steps , particularly with the filter on the engine top. Can anyone walk me thru the steps ,the parts and any special tools I would need. Much appreciated if anyone knows, thankyou.
Racer 10,

My biggest concern on these dip stick less engines is over-filling them. I prevent his by pouring 1 qt short of the total capacity. Meaning I pour 8 QTs first, then start the engine, run it for about 30 secs, then shut it down, and pour the 9th QT slowly. Pour quarter of it and measure with the electronic gauge.

Tools you need:
8 mm allen wrench or allen hex socket
Oil filter wrench (p/n 000 721 920 40) (tool 9204 about $7 at your dealer)
Torque wrench for 37 ft/lbs

The way I would do it is:

-get engine to operating temps.
-Turn off engine.
-drain oil. (I always let it drip for an hour, then jack front a little to drain as much) , You need a 8mm allen socket for the drain plug.

-Replace your oil filter by pulling off the filter housing then replacing the filter catridge. (easier for you since its on top/ make sure you use the new o-ring for the filter housing)

-Put the drain plug back with new alum seal washer.

-Torque drain plug to 37ft/lbs.

-Torque Oil Fliter 19ft/lbs

-Pour new oil. **Not sure about your 997.2 capacity., but pour 1 qt short, and pour that last one 8 ounces or less at a time each time checking your electronic gauge.

*The difference between the bottom bar to the top bar is 1.2 quart of oil.

Hope this help.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Racer 10,

My biggest concern on these dip stick less engines is over-filling them. I prevent his by pouring 1 qt short of the total capacity. Meaning I pour 9 QTs first, then start the engine, run it for about 30 secs, then shut it down, and pour the 10th QT slowly. Pour quarter of it and measure with the electronic gauge.
You're saying you pour 9 qts straight in your engine first, and then pour the 10th qt slowly???

When the maximum capacity of your engine is no more than 9 qts with oil filter? And that's with a completely dry engine block. How many times have you done this? It typically takes around 8 qts because of the residual oil remaining in the block.

Follow my detailed instructions as Edgy pointed out and you won't go wrong. Also, follow Edgy's advice to measure the amount of oil you drained, and make sure you pour no more than that initially. Then follow my instructions on how to gradually add more if need be.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OCBen
You're saying you pour 9 qts straight in your engine first, and then pour the 10th qt slowly???

When the maximum capacity of your engine is no more than 9 qts with oil filter? And that's with a completely dry engine block. How many times have you done this? It typically takes around 8 qts because of the residual oil remaining in the block.

Follow my detailed instructions as Edgy pointed out and you won't go wrong. Also, follow Edgy's advice to measure the amount of oil you drained, and make sure you pour no more than that initially. Then follow my instructions on how to gradually add more if need be.
Thansk for the catch OCB. I mean pour 8, then pour the 9th slowly. I corrected my post above too.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Thansk for the catch OCB. I mean pour 8, then pour the 9th slowly
You should never be pouring in 9 qts no matter what. That's guaranteed to overfill it by about a qt.

If anything you should pour only 7 qts in and then add the 8th gradually in increments, as it likely won't take more than 8 qts to fill it as I noted.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by OCBen
You should never be pouring in 9 qts no matter what. That's guaranteed to overfill it by about a qt.

If anything you should pour only 7 qts in and then add the 8th gradually in increments, as it likely won't take more than 8 qts to fill it as I noted.
OCB,

I remember now. I did use 10 QTS on my last oil change which I just did 1st of May. and thats because I lifted the front of the car(tilted the car) to drain more oil. I still have the log and all the 10 empty QTs I used.

Of course thats not the normal way if draining it. Thats just my style. So you're right, normal oil change is 9QTs.

My two prior to that were 9.3 & 9.2 QTs respectively. I let mine drain over night.

Here's my spread sheet.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 Oil Change process explained