Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo S - Check Engine Light - Cylinder 4 Misfire

Old 10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
WSPerry
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo S - Check Engine Light - Cylinder 4 Misfire

I just purchased a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S (3 weeks ago) and it is in the shop with a check engine light.

The error code is reading a high number of misfires (700+ compared anywhere from 5-33 in other 7 cylinders) in cylinder#4 at full boost WOT.

The dealership has replaced the plugs, replaced the coils, swapped the ECU, they have taken the cams out, inspected the valve train and wghen I went by there today they were looking into the cylinders with a lighted scope. They are still seeing the ECU error at full boost.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Please help...

Last edited by WSPerry; 10-24-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:21 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WSPerry
I just purchased a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S (3 weeks ago) and it is in the shop with a check engine light.

The error code is reading a high number of misfires (700+ compared anywhere from 5-33 in other 7 cylinders) in cylinder#4 at full boost WOT.

The dealership has replaced the plugs, replaced the coils, swapped the ECU, they have taken the cams out, inspected the valve train and wghen I went by there today they were looking into the cylinders with a lighted scope. They are still seeing the ECU error at full boost.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Please help...
Please keep us in the loop on what you learn... asks the guy with an '06 turbo S, too. Warranty expire approaches.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What about a bad knock sensor giving a false reading... did they check that?
Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd suggest sending a PM to Porsche52 and/or 99Firehawk...our resident Cayenne technical experts / grief counselors / undertakers.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
WSPerry
6th Gear

Thanks Guys, I just got back from Fremont Porsche. They have changed the lifters and are still seeing the problem.

Friday they had the regional service rep in and they are escalating with Porsche - in the mean time, they gave me a 08 Boxster to drive... I don't know if I'd ever go out and buy a convertible but it is kind of fun to tool around in. trying to stay positive. (my 2007 Suzuki M109R is in the shop with transmission problems too).
Old 10-21-2009, 08:26 PM
WSPerry
6th Gear

Well, the dealership pulled the engine last week and found out what the problem was.

In the Cayenne Turbo S the valves are supposed to have 2 springs per valve - for some reason mine had 1 per. At Full boost my exhaust valve in cylinder was floating..

Hans & Franz must have put it together on a Monday in September after a long weekend at Oktoberfest...

Dealer is putting in new heads today. Crazy Siht huh?

Anybody ever hear of this before?

Last edited by WSPerry; 10-21-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
scarneva
4th Gear

Interesting. Never heard of if before but PET shows only one p/n for turbo valve springs (i.e. no difference between turbo and turbo S). There is, however, a different part number for the non-turbo V8 Cayenne S. So maybe you have S springs in the turbo S??
Old 10-22-2009, 03:53 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WSPerry
Well, the dealership pulled the engine last week and found out what the problem was.

In the Cayenne Turbo S the valves are supposed to have 2 springs per valve - for some reason mine had 1 per. At Full boost my exhaust valve in cylinder was floating..

Hans & Franz must have put it together on a Monday in September after a long weekend at Oktoberfest...

Dealer is putting in new heads today. Crazy Siht huh?

Anybody ever hear of this before?
Wow. Thanks for the follow up. Hope that you don't have any problems going forward.

Thank the Lord for warranty coverage.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yaaaaa, we built that motor you little girly man, hahaha. We going to PUMP you UP!!! That was a good find, kudos to Fremont Porsche for sticking with it.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-18-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
WSPerry
6th Gear

Big props to Gunther and the team at Fremont Porsche - I've been driving a nice 08 Boxster loaner car for the last 3 weeks and I have grown rather fond of this little car (still have it).

Unlike the other dealer in Santa Clara (who shall remain nameless) said they would only pay to replace the spark plug in cylinder # 4 and I had to pay for the other 7(which I ended up doing), reset the check engine light and tossed me back my keys, Fremont actually help on to the car until they found the true cause of the problem. I live in Santa Clara but will drive to Fremont for my service needs...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:19 AM
WSPerry
6th Gear

Holy Cow - this is a fast vehicle!

Amazing what a difference the turbo head assembly makes compared to the S head! Scarneva you called it! Fremont Porsche even weighed the springs to confirm they were indeed the heavier, non-turbo variety... Not to mention having only 1 spring per valve the valves would float like a cork at high boost. This car has never seen it's full potential until now. Lighter valves, more spring tension. It's a whole new car!

Glad I had them put on new front brake pads too.

I may need a neck massage this weekend...

Last edited by WSPerry; 10-24-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo S - Check Engine Light - Cylinder 4 Misfire