Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Can you transfer a Porsche Lease?

Old 07-16-2003, 07:46 AM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you transfer a Porsche Lease?

I just leased a C4-S in February through Porsche Financial and was wondering if I can transfer the lease to someone else?

Anybody know?

TIA
Old 07-16-2003, 08:36 AM
03-C4S
Racer

I have heard you can only sell the car to get out of the lease, but I may be wrong. Why are you getting out of it so early? Also check your private messages, i just sent you one.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

LanceK, I did this with a BMW before. Check your lease paperwork for an assignment clause. The new owner would obviously have to qualify for the lease credit wise. Another alternative is to buy yourself out of the deal (there are usually significant penalities associated with that), buy the car and then sell it. BTW, when you buy the car, sales tax is obviously due. Check the early termination provisions in the lease. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2003, 12:12 PM
LanceK
Pro

I'm just not sure I bought the right model car.

I don't plan on doing anything drastic at this point. I plan to live with the car for as least a year, but just want to know what my options are.

Just in case someone says "How much do you want"?...
Old 07-16-2003, 01:07 PM
MitchellDavidson
Intermediate

Thinking about stepping up to the turbo?
Old 07-16-2003, 01:22 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most leases let you transfer the lease. the process takes about a month-the assumer has to apply and have excellent credit. even if your lease doesn't deal with assumption, alot of lease companies will let you have someone assume your lease if you can supply them with someone with equal credit. i have seen some instances where you have to remain responsible if the assumer defaults. if you just got the car, you will get killed if you try to buy out your lease or use the car as trade in, as you are major league upside down. you can call your leasing company and ask them for the payout, and compare this to it's trade in or retail value-the difference will be stagerring. this is the reality of leasing-unless you have a car with an extremely high resale value, you have to keep the car to the end, or close to the end. if you think otherwise, always buy, or take a short term lease. by the way, unless you have a great deal on the lease, or you are willing to pay a bonus to anyone who assumes your lease, there are not many compelling reasons for someone to assume your used car on your lease. good luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:32 PM
speedy g
Intermediate

I agree with DocJackson. I looked into this recently for another car. The main problem is that you REMAIN ON THE HOOK if the new guy defaults! You could end up owing the payments and not even have the car!

Even if the new owner was Donald Trump (bad example?), I don't think I could get comfortable with that risk.

Buying the car outright and then selling it is your best bet, but you'll probably still lose money. Try going back to the dealer who sold you the car -- if you get a another one from them, they might be able to cut you a better deal. Good luck though!

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2003, 02:57 PM
LanceK
Pro

Mitchel...I've been thinking of many options since my post about acceleration. But honestly I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm gonna live with the car for at least a year, hit some DE events and then see what happens.

I was just curious what my options were in case I came across an opportunity to transfer my lease. I know I would be way upside down otherwise without even looking at my buyout etc. I wouldn't even want to know for fear of depression...
Old 07-16-2003, 06:33 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey lance, you have a great car. your c4s will out handle and out accelerate 98% of all cars. put winter tires on it and you have all weather transportation. most people would kill to drive a new c4s. enjoy the car-you are a lucky guy.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:58 PM
waflnutz
Rennlist Member

Default I have heard that Porsche will not transfer a lease...

I tried when I was looking to purchase one. I was being asked to purchase the car instead. This was specific to Porsche's finance arm, not other banks that may underwrite Porsche leases.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:12 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"The main problem is that you REMAIN ON THE HOOK if the new guy defaults! You could end up owing the payments and not even have the car!"

totally depends on the leasing company and your lease. acs corp has fully assumable NON-RECOURSE leases if the assumer is qualified.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:00 AM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just sold my '02 C-2, which was leased by Porsche NA leasing arm.
No,you can't tranfer there lease.
Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you transfer a Porsche Lease?