993 Forum 1995-1998

How to remove glove box?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts
Default How to remove glove box?

I'm finally trying to replace a CR-1 head unit and it's wedged in there pretty good. If I understand correctly, the glove box can be removed to give the head unit a good push from behind.

Of course p-car.com is down and I can't look it up there. So... I've removed the three screws on the bottom of the glove box door. Removed the four screws inside the glove box 9two on top, two on the sides. Not the door is held in place by it's side plastic hinges and it's not letting the glove box slide out. How do I remove it?

Or am I simply full of it and should not be taking the glove box out to remove CR-1? I have taken its face frame off and put the little sliders in the middle position. Tried to pull it out by the cassette bay - it's not even budging.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really shouldn't need to remove the glove box. Are you using the radio release keys?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I was installing a new Alpine deck and there are some prongs that capture the ars end of the deck and made it difficult to get it in the last 1/2" or so. I had to remove the glovebox to see what was happening. I searched the archives (in the good ole days) and found that you have to pull hard on the glovebox arms to get it out (right side I think). I believe the left side was easy except that wires get snagged on the hook. I was nervous because I did not want to break the arms and have to go shopping. If you're issue was the keys then forget the above.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Black993
Drifting

If you need the keys, they are easy to make out of any spare thin metal. I have a set of home-made keys if you need them. They certainly aren't pretty, but they work
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Justin, as far as I know, CR-1 does not use a key removal system. Instead, there are two little sliders on the front that need to be put in the middle position and then the unit should, in theory, slide out. Could someone confirm this?

As far as glove box... ouch. I feel really uncomfortable pulling it. There is a narrow slot that holds the hinges in. What's at the end of the hinge? Plastic? Rubber?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

CR-1 does not have keys. Mike it will come out but the sliders need to be perfectly aligned. Also it would be easier to pull the climate control box out if you need to push from behind rather than removing the glove box. Also jhummel and I tried for 45 minute to get his CR-1 out. It did come out, but it took awhile.

Mike
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...le-repair.html

Can't help you with the CR-1, but I removed by glovebox when I hardwired my V1 and lived to tell the tale. If you visualize the side pieces as hooks it may help, you know "go up to go down," that sort of zen thing.

- Dave
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, I think this is what I needed, thanks! If I do end up needing to remove the glove box, this should help.

Mike, I tired to pull CR-1 out but I have nothing to grab onto and it's stuck in there solid. I think I must push from the back of the head unit somehow. If i do remove the Climate Control panel, is that removed with the U-shaped key? For CR-1, do the little sliders need to be in the middle? They move absolutely freely up and down, I would expect some resistance and a click when they unlatch?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Dave, I think this is what I needed, thanks! If I do end up needing to remove the glove box, this should help.

Mike, I tired to pull CR-1 out but I have nothing to grab onto and it's stuck in there solid. I think I must push from the back of the head unit somehow. If i do remove the Climate Control panel, is that removed with the U-shaped key? For CR-1, do the little sliders need to be in the middle? They move absolutely freely up and down, I would expect some resistance and a click when they unlatch?
1. The CCU is removed with the U-shaped key
2. The sliders do need to be in the middle for CR-1 removal
3. I kept my fingers in the cassette opening and lined up the sliders in the middle and then pulled.

Mike
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the CR-1 we had to pull hard - real hard even though the sliders were aligned correctly. We did take the CCU out to help "push" from the back. I can't say any one thing worked for us. We just kept at it until the radio came out. Once it was out we couldn't tell what was holding it in other than the sliders. It is just a real tight fit. I haven't taken the shift **** off my car, but it sounds like the same thing - just keep pulling and it will eventually give.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Mike, any additional insight you can provide once finished with the project would be appreciated. I will be doing the same thing next month when I pick up the CDR-210 I ordered. As far as the keys go, I ordered some for my car at the nearest Porsche dealer because they said I needed them to get the radio out. Maybe they aren't really necessary.

Did you just pry the faceplate off?

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove glove box?