Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Euromeister Replica Fuchs

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM
fiftyfive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euromeister Replica Fuchs

Posted this earlier on 944 turbo forum but no response yet. Thought the 911 forum might be a bigger audience. (FWIW I also have an '84 911 Euro):

I've noticed the Euromeister Fuchs replicas being sold by Automotion. Does anyone know about their quality, relative weight, etc?

My 951's an '86. Will 8"/9" front/rear Fuchs work in place of 7"/8" Fuchs? For those of you with 16X9 wheels, what brand tires do you run? 245-45 16 tire selection is pretty slim.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a fair amount of discussion about these low pressure cast wheels. Opinions vary amongst posters about these wheels, their strengths and weaknesses.
I was in Performance Products the other day and saw the set they have there…..I think it was $ 1499.00 for a complete set of wheels; 8's and 9's mounted with tires, Potenza RE750. Nice directional block tread pattern. Say what you want, the wheels do look pretty amazing for the price.
If I were in the market for tires, I'd buy the Potenza's RE750 as replacement for my Dunlop SP8000.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Moses over at Pelican had some 17 inch Fuch replicas made up, and you can buy them direct from the maker, a reputable firm. I understand they are beefed up where it counts, and you can get a lot more tire sizes in 17 inch. 245/45s are the biggest 16s I have seen listed in a long time.

Jason Cullen put together a set of real Fuch 8 & 9s for my 86 951, but it cost me quite a bit more than the replicas. I also was able to purchase a set of real 944 turbo fuchs on ebay for 1000.00. Those were 7 & 8s running 225/50 & 245/45. They are sometimes available at that price, and I would recommend them over replicas, unless you are trying for the filled out wheel arches.

BTW, I have seen some real disaster pictures of failed replicas.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 PM
philflack
3rd Gear

Do the Euromeister replicas look exactly like the Fuchs wheels in appearance? I've only seen pictures of the replicas and they look fairly accurate to me.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

phil,

As mentioned in my previous post, they look pretty accuate in person. At first glance its hard to tell. If you are looking for a nice replica 16 inch wheel, these do the job. If you are looking for the real deal then you pay a high price for a new wheel or at a minumum, you get a pretty good deal on a used set and then need to send them out for a refinishing. I saw a couple of guys on the new years day run with the 17 inch Rotas. They look amazing, and really fill the wheel well nicely, but the are alot more money than the Euromeisters too. There is also a greater tire selection in 17 inch diameters. I guess it all depnds on how deep is your pocket....btw i am not endorsing the Euromeister wheels, just telling you what I thought of them after seeing them in the Perf Prod's showroom.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
DARISC
Racer

[QUOTE=Daniel Dudley;5075874]Moses over at Pelican had some 17 inch Fuch replicas made up, and you can buy them direct from the maker, a reputable firm.[QUOTE]

Those are Rota brand wheels and are made in the Philipines. Rota makes low pressure cast wheels and some gravity cast wheels.

Gravity casting is the cheapest and most primitive casting method dating back to the bronze age. They are prone to containing bubble and voids, neither of which are detectable without x-raying each wheel - which Rota does not.

Invisible bubbles and voids can lead to catastrophic failure, e.g. chunks of wheel breaking off under stress (potholes, sliding into a curb, etc.) which is why NO O.E.M. wheel manufacturer makes gravity cast wheels.

Rota's fake Fuchs are gravity cast, thus cheap (they don't sell many so won't use the higher cost low pressure casting technique).

The Euromeister wheels are Italian and are low pressure cast. They've been on the market for some time and are a much higher quality wheel than the cheapo gravity cast Rota fakes.

I believe Pelican Parts and Automotion (Performance Products) sell Euromeister but will not sell the Rotas. Unfortunately, the Euromeisters are only available in 16".

Performance Products states that the Euromeisters are NOT recommended for track use.

Those knowledgeable about wheel manufacture do NOT recommend ANY gravity cast wheel even for road use, much less track use.

However, if you want to go cheapo with the lowest quality available phoney Fuchs wheels (Rota Fox is what they're cleverly tagged - fuchs is German for fox - get it? HAHA!), you will definitely save enough to buy a cheapo phoney Rolex.

Putting the cheapest, low quality fake wheels on your Porsche - amazing.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed that Rota thread on Pelican with interest. The gravity cast issue raised aside, I find it hard to believe that a well-know manufacturer would put something out that is dangerous to drive on. Rota is an OEM for Subaru, aren't they? And their wheels are widely accepted for rally use.

Fuchs are, at the very newest, something like 20 years old. Refinished or not, I'm not sure they are not the best choice for track use either. There are many pictures on these boards of failed (real) Fuchs.

Just out of curiosity...what percentage of OEM alloy wheels, across all makes, are cast vs. forged?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 PM
philflack
3rd Gear

Stevie,
Thanks for your opinion on the Euromeister replicas.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:25 PM
DARISC
Racer

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
I followed that Rota thread on Pelican with interest. The gravity cast issue raised aside, I find it hard to believe that a well-know manufacturer

They are "well known" because they advertise (anybody can advertise and become well known). The wheels they are well known for are low pressure cast not gravity cast and are definitely FAR superior to the cheap fake Fuchs they are making at the behest of the ever cost conscious old Porsche crowd (pardon my sarcasm, but this whole issue has left a bad taste in my mouth for quite a while now).

Their fake Fuchs may be the ONLY gravity cast wheel they make.

would put something out that is dangerous to drive on.

That's an assumption that I wouldn't make about an off-shore company casting wheels using - what alloy?- and whose "testing' is all in-house, to "their standards" (which they will not tell you ANYTHING about - I asked - about that and what alloy they use).

Do a little research and see what really knowledgeable types such as Randy Webb and Jeff Alton have to say about using gravity casting for wheels - they don't have dogs in the hunt. You'll find them over on the Pelican board where all the Rota Fox hype began.

Rota is an OEM for Subaru, aren't they?

I do not believe that they are. I don't know of ANY car company putting gravity cast wheels on the cars they sell. You may be able to buy Rota wheels for your new Subaru through the dealer, I don't know - even if you can, that is NOT "OEM".

And their wheels are widely accepted for rally use.

I'd have to see proof of that. The Subaru rally team surely doesn't use Rota's. Do you know of any PRO rally cars that do?

Fuchs are, at the very newest, something like 20 years old. Refinished or not, I'm not sure they are not the best choice for track use either. There are many pictures on these boards of failed (real) Fuchs.

Ummm, not so many really. The important thing to consider is that Fuchs are forged, not cast. They may crack and bend. but they will NOT break apart in chunks like a cheap gravity cast wheel will (castings don't bend, they literally break apart in chunks - which can put you downside up or worse in a flash when they do).

Just out of curiosity...what percentage of OEM alloy wheels, across all makes, are cast vs. forged?

With very few exceptions, OEM wheels are cast - low pressure cast, NOT gravity cast! HUGE difference in strength and quality between gravity casting (pour it in the mold and hope there won't be any hidden bubbles and/or voids that MIGHT cause the wheel to grenade under stress) and denser, stronger, bubble and void-free state-of-the-art low pressure casting.

By the way, my involvement in panning the Rota Fox wheels began with an interest in buying a set for my SC. When I found it excruciatingly difficult (actually, inpossible in the most important instances) to get answers to very basic questions I began researching further on my own and, learning what I did, am not the least bit surprised that Rota refuses to be forthcoming when pressed for info relating to the quality of their Fuchs look-alike wheels.

I actually spoke to one of their Filipino "engineers" who was in the US on a business trip who I lucked out getting on the phone on one of a number of calls I'd made prior to giving up. He told me in broken English that the wheels are gravity cast and will not be low pressure cast because they don't anticipate selling enough of them to make it profitable for them to do so. When I tried to ask more questions he told me he'd picked up the phone because no one was available and that I'd have to call back and talk to a sales rep for more info (which had turned out to be a lost cause prior to that call).

Anyway, the last places to go "cheap" on ANY car are steering, brakes, tires and wheels. While it MAY never happen, could end up getting you killed - or worse yet, killing someone else.

That's not to even mention that Porsches are generally objects of fanaticism and near religious fervor to the same people slapping pretty polished junk wheels on their mechanical objects of worship. Go figure (I'd wager that ole Doc Ferdnand be rollin' over in his grave 'bout this ).

Last edited by DARISC; 02-14-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Very fair.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 PM
philflack
3rd Gear

I think I'll pass on the Euromeister replica wheels and look for good used original Fuchs. All I need are two 16" X 9", however, the nine inch wheels are quite pricey.

Great comments posted from all!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

7s and 8s you can find all day here, on Pelican, and on eBay for a lot less than $1500. The 9s on the other hand, will cost you dearly especially if you were looking for 15s. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euromeister Replica Fuchs