Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I purchase a Dehumidifier for the garage?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I purchase a Dehumidifier for the garage?

Here in Florida the humidity can reach damaging levels especially inside the garage. I was thinking of purchasing a dehumidifier for my (3) car garage and running 24/7 on automatic; is this wise decision, if so, any recommendations on a reliable dehumidifier (note, Porsche does not make a dehumidifier).

My wife will not allow me to purchase and run an air conditioner unit in the garage, the better half thinks its wasteful money, so the best I can do is the dehumidifier. There goes air-conditioning my doghouse (garage)!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

When I was in the aircraft maintenance business we found that corrosion increases significantly when humidity levels are above 40%. That's become a sort of magic number. If the humidity is too low seals can dry out and also produce less than desired results. High humidity will lead to higher incidences of wiring corrosion and early rust,--even with galvanized panels.

If you plan to keep the car for more than most appear to, I would certainly go with a dehumidifier, and then limit the times the garage door is opened which would defeat the work of the dehumidifier.

Some people tap off their home A/C if it has sufficient overhead and run a duct or two into their garages. It not only conditions the air (dehumidifies) but will give the added bonus of making it reasonable to work in during the day with the cooling.
The following users liked this post:
997ajk (09-07-2020)
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan to keep it forever, otherwise don't worry about it. Seems to be overkill to me.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:16 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Tapping into it sounds like a good idea. Tell her that you'll save money that way
Old 08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually I was wondering the same thing- the day I brought my car home it was 100+ deg F with typical August DC humidity. The garage was hotter and i cringed at the thought of parking the new beast in it! My garage though is a detached two car type, which faces out onto an alley. That was the typical arrangement from when our house was constructed- 1939. Tapping off the house AC is not an option. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to purchase either a humidifier or a small AC unit for some sort of climate control. I tend to keep cars for a long time (10+ years) and so this may be worthwhile. The climate control wouldn't be to keep the environment at perfect 40% humidity 72 deg F year round- that is excessive- but just to take the edges off the highs and lows.

I asked the dealer about this and he gave the "these cars are meant to handle all type of temperatures" answer. I gather him saying the car needs climate control is equivalent to admitting a flaw in the car's design.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
wetstuff
Pro

I also am in that Mid-Atlantic heat/humidity ...but I'd suggest any of us buy a simple Humidity/Moisture Meter to first make an objective measurement. I suspect, tho' quite warm, the humidity inside does not jump around to match outside dew points. I have One ...but will need another meter to set outside to compare..

I also thought about a small A/C unit ...but don't spend much time in the garage in Summer - rather be at the beach. Instead, I put in a LPG heater for the Winter when I do spend more time in there. Also, - haven't yet hung - one of those Instant Water Heaters from Poland that also runs off the LPG tank.

Vazquez: L'me get this right: you spent a zillion on a car but a 8,000 btu A/C, set on 80f. from Walmart is too expensive?! You shudda bought her a larger ring when you bought the car.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are really ****, this may be for you.

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...me=Car+Capsule
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I am in the DC area and use a dehumidifier in my garage. It started about 5 yrs ago when I saw condensation forming on my viper GTS. I usually run it during the day, off at night, until the weather gets cooler in Oct.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

I use one 24/7 in my garage here after about November until about April - massive difference (I noticed it more on one of my Harleys due to the huge chrome plated primary it has which is a "magnet" for condensation if it's around) I also use a garage car cover.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

AC could present another problem. Driving a car from a cool dry garage into high hot humidity will cause the entire car to fog up. Don't get it too cool.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

You should be more concerned with the dewpoint temperature than relative humidity. The relative humidity value will vary during the day as the temperature changes, even though the actual moisture in the air as measured by the dewpoint might remain the same. The warmer the air, the lower the relative humidity value for the same dewpoint. A dewpoint of 60 degrees or less is reasonably dry air.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wetstuff
I also am in that Mid-Atlantic heat/humidity ...but I'd suggest any of us buy a simple Humidity/Moisture Meter to first make an objective measurement. I suspect, tho' quite warm, the humidity inside does not jump around to match outside dew points. I have One ...but will need another meter to set outside to compare..

I also thought about a small A/C unit ...but don't spend much time in the garage in Summer - rather be at the beach. Instead, I put in a LPG heater for the Winter when I do spend more time in there. Also, - haven't yet hung - one of those Instant Water Heaters from Poland that also runs off the LPG tank.

Vazquez: L'me get this right: you spent a zillion on a car but a 8,000 btu A/C, set on 80f. from Walmart is too expensive?! You shudda bought her a larger ring when you bought the car.

Funny you mention that, I gave her something better a brand new Lexus GS300 fully optioned out to the hilt. However, anything for the garage or the P-car is a no go! She is the jealous type, so it is not about the money... I just want to keep my family jewels for the sake of an argument, so I will stick with the dehumidifier. It’s always a compromise…

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions… off to Sears I go!

If anyone has a good suggestion for the make and model of a good dehumidifier, please let me know.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
george_k
Instructor

I think you will be well served by a dehumidifier, Sears is a good bet, I would give you the make and model of mine but I lent it to an ex-girlfriend and never got it back. I have an exhaust fan on a timer in my garage and the garage is covered by the house so that keeps it pretty cool. A dehumidifier has a compressor just like small window unit AC systems do, so you probably will have about the same electricity usage with either. while your at sears, check the power ratings on both.

In NYC, it is a buliding code violation to have a whole house AC grille in your garage, it has to be a separate system so that you can never get cross contamination with any type of fumes into your home.
just an FYI.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
george_k
Instructor

Another thing you may want to consider before you purchase a dehumidifier, these units cool the air with a refrigeration coil (evaporator coil) to condense the water out into a drain pan, then they blow that cool air thru another coil which cools the freon returning to the compressor. it just like a window AC unit except you are not getting the beniftit of the cool air - it blows out warm dry air, so you will actually be heating the room slightly in some cases.

In a window AC unit, the hot condensor coil - ( high pressure side) of the freon circuit is cooled by outside air that flows thru the coil that hangs out the window.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Tell her that it'll be good for her car too - I assume it's in the garage?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I purchase a Dehumidifier for the garage?