Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Factory speaker size in 993..two way...yes, I searched

Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory speaker size in 993..two way...yes, I searched

I read through about 100 posts dealing with audio upgrades and the like BUT I never saw anyone post about factory speaker size. Some use 6.5 and some use 5.25 two ways.

Which is it?

As well, are the factory speakers crossed over AT the speaker with resistors and caps as opposed to a separate or amp based crossover? I am preparing for a speaker upgrade AND I believe that my 993 kept the original speakers when they upgraded the amp/tuner.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have the hi-fi option?

Either way, you can get 6.5" speakers in there. But if you have hi-fi, then you'd have to ditch the hi-fi speaker box.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

crutchfield is a great source online.
The size that fits up front is 5.25" if you do not have the hi-fi option.
If you are about to change those, try getting a component speaker system with tweeters.
the original stuff is cardboard.
The rears are 4 x 6" speakers. You do not need strong rears because the cabin is small,
and the rear windshield reflects strongly the sound.
I mounted the infinity perfects (with crossovers), and with little trimming for the tweeters, they look very similar to the original setup.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

He has a cab and I think 4.0" fit his car

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

ooops, sorry about that, thought it was a coupé
Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Yeah I know about Crutch-they show 6.75, 6.5 AND 5.25 fitting. That was the basis of my confusion.

I already have a component system i.e. two way BUT I don't have the Hi Fi option.

Was a two way NOT an option then? Did someone install tweeters on my 993?

Anyhoo, thanks. I will go with the 6.5 components. Should work fine for me.

Thanks all
Old 02-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

This is what Rod Birch of Car Audio Innovations, lots of Porsche stereo and alarm installations sent me regarding 993 stereo upgrade options:

993 options: Let’s figure out if you’ve got the hifi package-have you noticed whether your door panels have a large carpeted bulge on them, with a sort of oval shaped grill? Or a flat, smooth panel with a round speaker grill flat against it? Once we determine this, we can look at speaker options (the non-hifi equipped cars are limited to a tweeter size that'll fit in the small angled pod found on both setups (hifi/nonhifi), but the hifi equipped cars have more space for a larger tweeter behind the large cover-a very nice feature!) Though the hifi equipped cars have 3 speakers on each door, it's much easier and more practical to install a high quality component speaker set with 6.5" midwoofers, tweeters, and crossover networks. It will look completely stock when you're done in either case, though with the non-hifi equipped cars, the 6.5" aftermarket speaker grill will need to be used since the factory grill cover snaps directly onto the speaker's frame. The sound will be night and day style different. Prices can range from $179/set for super budget speakers that don't have a separate crossover network, don't want or need much power, to $299/set for nice basic Hertz, $380 for even nicer Hertz. Focal has a nice set at $420, nicer at $580, super sweet at $750 (but will only work in hifi equipped cars because of the tweeter size, 'same with the really nice Focal Polykevlar K2P set at $899).

Rear speakers can be a bit tricky on the hifi equipped coupes, they have an unusual mount with separate 3.5" mid and separate tweeter mounted at an angle. The actual grill and speaker assembly are elongated, which also leaves an odd, elongated opening in the rear panel if they're removed. The easiest way to deal with them is to leave the stock ones in, perhaps just running headunit power to run them, (they're very efficient, plus the rear window increases their efficiency-headunit power is plenty), bass blockers on each, or high pass crossovers on a quality headunit (like a nice Kenwood Excelon with their Ipod interface). Other heaudnit choices include a stock looking Nakamichi that has auxiliary input for audio from your Ipod. Non hifi equipped cars have a very common 4x6" oval grills under rectangular grills. The trick is finding quality speakers that come with grills, since the factory grills snap onto the factory speakers and are often cracked from age, sun, ozone... I like Kenwood Excelon units there, with some grills I pirate from their more basic 4x6 speakers. You can adapt a 4" coaxial to the factory hifi grills, but it's really tricky to effect a good quality mount, rigid and sealed up airtight to the openings in the rear speaker assembly.

(Cabriolet 993's all have 4" round speakers behind square grills, all standard on hifi and non-hifi equipped cars, btw, easily replaced by quality 4" coaxials-like $199 Focals).

The 993's equipped with the hifi sound package ('just a bunch of crappy Nokia speakers, enclosures (on doors, easily removed to expose factory standard round "cutout), an amplifier underneath the passenger seat (U.S. versions), all lightweight, anemic cheap stuff. Some cars also have the DSP option, with a small control pad on the driver's door, inside the map pocket, allowing some sound delay action. 'no real advantage, in my opinion. The factory system lacked power, quality speakers, and has a poor source unit by Becker. A compact/narrow quality aftermarket amplifier, like an Audison unit will fit under the passenger seat, replacing the factory amp and simplifying wiring (also fits the non-hifi equipped cars in the same location), either 2 channel to drive just high quality door speakers, price $279-$490, or a 3 channel amp to drive door speakers and subs (hehe, the sub setup is another dimension, 'not the boomy stuff kids are into, just a balanced setup with dual 8" JL Audio subs at $599 complete) at $649, or other choices in 4 channels to run just main speakers ($479-699), a 5 channel amp to run everything including subs for $649-$950. The higher prices reflect more power, higher end model, more headroom, etc. 'all great stuff, with 3 year warranty on all Focal and Audison amps when purchased from an authorized dealer like us.

For headunits, I've got nice units including a Kenwood revolving face unit (MASK antitheft feature that closes the face when you turn off the car) at $349, and like all of their Excelon units, it has 24 bit Burr Brown D/A converters, is MP3 and WMA compatible, and their are nicer models without the mask feature but with G Force meter and color displays, $450-580. Kenwood's Ipod interface is $99 and works great as long as your stuff is organized into "playlists". You can view and control through the headunit. The Nakamichi CD400 has a great, plain, OEM look, which some guys dig for the Porsche, 3 pairs of preamp outputs like the Kenwood's, high voltage too, $449.95, switchable green or amber illumination. The CD500 add's MP3, WMA ability and more illumination options for $699.

FWIW: Rod is a great guy and I would highly recommend him for quality installations as well as advice. Give rod a call or email him via his website www.caraudioinnovations.com Rod makes subwoofer enclosures for Porshes that are top notch, finished with Porsche carpet. Rod also does "tours" I plan to have him do some work on my 993 the next time he comes to So Cal or maybe just replace front speakers in the near term.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Arena993
Race Car

jason:

Here is a pic of your door. You have the non HI-FI syatem as you know. The tweeter is a factory setup. I have an Arena Red car in my shop and I pulled the cover and measued the speaker. It is the same setup as yours. The speaker in the Arena Red car is a 6.50" unit. So you can safely go with that. Does this help?

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Thank you.

Then I do have the stock two way, non HIFI system. Makes sense.

Now I am concerned about the speaker grills.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Speaker grills should come with the speakers. Make sure of this before you buy as some do not.

Mike
Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Yeah, you're right.

Thanks all.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:13 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

While we are on the subject...

I have a pair of Focal K2's that I need to mount in the doors of my hi-fi equipped 993. I cannot find any info on how this works with a Hi-Fi system door panel. Do I throw the speaker box away and just mount the speakers in the door panel? If so, does the existing lower cover go back on or do I need to revert to non hi-fi panels? Any ideas are mucho appreciated.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

My tweeter are way beyond life support.... Any good replacements? (with budget in mind)
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arena993
jason:

Here is a pic of your door. You have the non HI-FI syatem as you know. The tweeter is a factory setup. I have an Arena Red car in my shop and I pulled the cover and measued the speaker. It is the same setup as yours. The speaker in the Arena Red car is a 6.50" unit. So you can safely go with that. Does this help?

Mike
Mike,

do you know if 6.75" will fit in the doors of a non-hifi car? I'm also on the hunt for some new mids. also, if i get a component setup for the front, where would the crossovers go?

btw, got the trim rings in today, thanks mike!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allill
Mike,

where would the crossovers go?

I have placed mine in the door compartment, exactly under the door lid (handle)
Even when you open the door lid, the crossover will be hidden in the front space below the door opening handle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory speaker size in 993..two way...yes, I searched