996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

[NOW WITH PICS] Pep Boys Muffler Mod

Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default [NOW WITH PICS] Pep Boys Muffler Mod

I just did the Pep Boys Mod - actually mine was an autozone mod. The pipes are on the shelf in the exhaust section. I had to drive to 3 different Autozones since the first only had 1 pipe, and the second didn't have any.

The end result: the pipes look totally retarded. (I'll post pics tomorrow) However, as expected, these puppies are loud. In the passenger compartment it's loud. Outside the car it's loud. Down the street it's loud. It's FRICKIN LOUD.

It's actually a lot easier to take the mufflers off than I thought. There are only 3 nuts on each side - plus the catalytic converter pipe connector which only has to be loosened and not removed. Unfortunately, I started off by taking off every nut and bolt connected to the muffler, only to finally realize where the real connectors were. For each muffler, the 3 nuts you need (1/2" hex) are facing the engine in a little triangle just about in the middle of the muffler can. You can't really see them unless you get under the car a bit. Get those bad boys off and the muffler wiggles out. It's easier if you slide the catalytic converter connector to one side. I took the wheels off, and the cans just barely slide out through the wheel well.

To emphasis my non-mechanic genes, the first muffler took me about an hour and a half to figure out. The second muffler took me all of 15 minutes to get off. So that's almost 2 hours. Go figure.

I had to tug a bit to get the mufflers out, so I'm a bit nervous about trying to get them back in. Anyone have any issues undoing the pepboys mod?

Needless to say, my wife thinks I'm an idiot. She might be right on other grounds, but this was a pretty cool experiment in my opinion. I'm going to run them for a day or so, but I don't think I could live with them on my daily driver. They're just too FRICKIN LOUD.

I'm glad I did this mod as it convinced me not to buy expensive bypass pipes. For me, a sport exhaust is the way to go.

-td

Last edited by himself; 10-01-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

TD - you should have asked for some "how do I..." help. I have posted this diagram from the PET a couple of times and I would have been happy to do so again. I am sure tht the group of 3 nuts (circled) look very familiar.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're into taking your mufflers on and off a lot (or even more than once), reverse the bolt 24 in the diagram above. In other words, take it out and put it in from the bottom! Now you can take the muffler off the car with just one bolt instead of three.

-Charles
Old 02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesml3
If you're into taking your mufflers on and off a lot (or even more than once), reverse the bolt 24 in the diagram above. In other words, take it out and put it in from the bottom! Now you can take the muffler off the car with just one bolt instead of three.

-Charles
You would have to reverse two bolts (#24 & #25). I actually did this when I swapped my mufflers the first time. The problem with this appreach is that it is very difficult to get to the nut on bolt #25 (it will be on the top of the muffler bracket now) so you can hold it while you loosen the bolt. I tried ths and gave up because the access is VERY tight/limited.

The last time I swapped mufflers, I gave up on bolt #25 and went back to removing the cluster of 3 nuts (#16 circled) on the muffler bracket..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:43 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
I am sure tht the group of 3 nuts (circled) look very familiar.
I tend to "shoot first ask questions later." That figure would have saved me a lot of time though doh!

Here are a few pics for those souls brave enough to try this:

Here is what they look like installed. Ghetto to the nth degree.

Exterior

Disconnect these 3 guys

Close up

From this Spot - the nuts are on the inside facing the engine...
This is looking over the wheel into the wheel well.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep they look pretty bad......and I can't only imagine how loud that must sound!!!

For a grand you can get a set of sport exhausts....nice sound .....not over the top!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

gotta agree. Those don't look to hot, in fact, they look bad.

Nicolass - do you still have your Dansk? Super sound right? How are you liking them? I got the Dansk Sport sound. I really like them. I friend of mine got the Fabspeeds but I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's just for the track and then back to stock after the weekend then who cares. But for around town, HELL NO!
Old 02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
If it's just for the track and then back to stock after the weekend then who cares. But for around town, HELL NO!
Anyone have thoughts on making these stay put during track days? Are the factory clamps tough enough? I would hate for one of these puppies to drop off during my DE this weekend.

-td

Last edited by himself; 03-12-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I assume they are in good and tight? If you wanted to add a safety bracket you could but as long as they are good and tight I can't imagine they would fly off. The metal is going to expand anyway when they get good and warm so the fit will be even tighter.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
The metal is going to expand anyway when they get good and warm so the fit will be even tighter.
My concern is that the two pieces (clamp and pipe) are different metals and will expand differently. If the clamp expands more thanthe mod pipe, it might wiggle loose.

-td
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Einstein
Instructor

good job. no get some tips welded.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with some nice stainless tips on those it might look a lot better...maybe better than stock. It's a good way to lose weight.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

they look cute.......just like a little chi^wow^wa............. all bark, no bite......
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Black Spray Paint is your friend here.

I had a local muffler shop quote me $150 for a custom made set with tips and mandrel (sp?) bends....but I'm leaving my GHL's on for the street.

I'm hoping the pep-boys mod doesn't look AS bad when painted black as I intend on using them at the track...last time I could barely hear my car over the other loud cars at the track to the point it was annoying.

Andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [NOW WITH PICS] Pep Boys Muffler Mod