Notices
356 Forum 1948-1965
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Rennsport Reunion V / Oct 9-11, 2015 at Laguna Seca...it's official!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Porsche Rennsport Reunion V / Oct 9-11, 2015 at Laguna Seca...it's official!

It's officially on!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 10-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PCA's Press Release

"Official: Rennsport Reunion V to be held at Laguna Seca in October 2015
Thursday, October 9, 2014
By Damon Lowney

It’s official: Rennsport Reunion V will be held at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on October 9-11 next year, according to Porsche Cars North America (PCNA), four years after the fourth installment of the world-renowned Porsche festival.

Rennsport V is expected to attract hundreds of vintage and modern Porsche race cars, "as well as those who have designed, engineered, and driven them to victory in the world's most famous sports car races," PCNA states. Like Rennsports before it, number five will consist of three days of vintage racing, a Concours d'Elegance, and activities celebrating each of six decades of Porsche race cars — all crash courses of Porsche history.

And if you just want to watch fast Porsche metal racing on a world-famous race track, then prepare to whet your appetite with race-prepped 356s, mid-engined 550 Spyders, 718 RSKs, 917s, 956/962s, GT3 RSRs, RS Spyders, and so many more.

“While the Rennsport name from the beginning has become a staple fixture for international collectors and racers, choosing the Monterey Peninsula opened up this one-of-a-kind gathering to the many Porsche fans in California and beyond who were previously unable to attend,” said Detlev von Platen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Porsche Cars North America. “Approximately 40,000 spectators for the weekend, and a record number of race cars and participants, proved that our decision to come here was correct.” To put that number into context, compare it to the roughly 3,500 tickets sold for 2007's Rennsport III at Daytona International Speedway.

As with Rennsport IV, which attracted around 1,300 Porsche Club of America member-owned Porsches, according to PCNA, Rennsport V is expected to have a similarly huge turnout of members and their Porsches, filling race classes, show fields, and parking lots at the race track. It's the perfect way to finish PCA's year-long 60th anniversary celebration.

The first Rennsport Reunion was held in 2001 at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, followed by the second and third at Daytona International Speedway in 2004 and 2007, and the fourth at Laguna Seca in 2011. All the while, the festival was growing exponentially, with tens of thousands more attendees flooding Laguna Seca for Rennsport IV compared to Rennsport III, which sold 3,500 tickets. Due to the success of the last event, we would have been surprised if Rennsport V weren’t in the books — and indeed there have been grumblings about a fifth, though time and place were unknown until today.

Porsche Club of America is an official Rennsport Reunion V partner, so look to our website and social media channels for official updates and information over the next year."

https://www.pca.org/news/2014-10-09/...a-october-2015

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Sound Restrictions right?

Buttholes who build houses too close to race tracks, especially after the track has been there for decades and decades before the house were built, should expect sounds from the race track that has been there before them and will be there well after they have passed on.

Sound Restrictions screwed up Ascot Raceway in LA and Lion's Drag Strip in Long Beach. Guess the people in San Pedro couldn't put up with the Beautiful sound of a 440 at full boar.

Thanks for the new Eduardo

Saludos
Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

Thanks for the new Eduardo

Saludos
Yes, I believe it's one of the exempted weekends from strict noise restrictions at Laguna Seca.

And No, there is not a NEW Eduardo. It's the same, old me! But you are welcome in any case.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

El Eduardo Nuevo...

Don't know what in the hEck mis dedos were thinking but somehow the word "new" somehow got put in front of your name.

And as for what Alfred E. Neumann may say in this situation, "What Me Worry?"!

As always thanks for the information mi companero.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:36 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

Buttholes who build houses too close to race tracks, especially after the track has been there for decades and decades before the house were built, should expect sounds from the race track that has been there before them and will be there well after they have passed on.

Sound Restrictions screwed up Ascot Raceway in LA and Lion's Drag Strip in Long Beach.
Just have to point out a blatant mistake my friend.....

Lions Drag Strip was not in Long Beach! It was in Wilmington.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Now, I wasn't alive until the year 1973 - and it seems through the clouds of time the strip was magically moved from Wilmington to Long Beach. Heack even the Wiki points out the truth while at the sametime slipping Long Beach in there.

" Lions Drag Strip was a US raceway in the Wilmington district
of Los Angeles, California adjacent to Long Beach that existed
from 1955 to 1972."

Thank you for the correction. Now where did I put that computer screen correction tape?
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Ha......

I only know this because my hubby grew up there. His Dad was the director of the strip in the 60s. The true golden age of drag racing and he has tons of stories!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:10 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

Nickname for Lions was "The Beach". I raced there in the late 60's and early 70's. Talk about up close and personal when top fuel raced there!!!! The second race I ever attended was at the beach and Don Garlits and a few other notables were racing. Pure magic!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Some club or somebody was trying to re-startup the Lions strip back in the 90's, that one was an 1/8th miler and was trying to get permits for a 1/4 miler. I could be wrong about that one but I could swear that That strip was in Long Beach since the land that occupied the old Lion's strip is occupied by businesses now, or so I've heard. All mostly Hearsy except for the misfiring of the restart of the strip in the 90's.

I tell friend's that I was born in the wrong Decade. Seems like most of what I Dig happened in 70's. But the 80's were good enough for me. Junk Bonds, the best Star War's Sequels, The Commodore 64 & Amiga Computers... I can keep on going but let's keep this,try to, post on topic.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:48 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Apologies to Ed for morphing this thread but it is car related!

The re-birth of Lions was headed by Big ***** who was president of the LA Street Racers Club. It was set up for a few months on the old Naval Ship Yard in Long Beach.

Lions was nicknamed "The Beach" only because it was surrounded by Long Beach on three sides and was part of the LA/Wilmington Harbor Dept. Also the off ramp to get to Lions was in Long Beach. Not too many people knew or admitted that they knew that Wilmington existed!
Attached Images     
Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Apologies to Ed for morphing this thread but it is car related!

The re-birth of Lions was headed by Big ***** who was president of the LA Street Racers Club. It was set up for a few months on the old Naval Ship Yard in Long Beach.

Lions was nicknamed "The Beach" only because it was surrounded by Long Beach on three sides and was part of the LA/Wilmington Harbor Dept. Also the off ramp to get to Lions was in Long Beach. Not too many people knew or admitted that they knew that Wilmington existed!
Cool stuff!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

I remember Big Willie. Went to the Crenshaw district for a Street Racers event.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by il pirata
For your information!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Porsche Rennsport Reunion V / Oct 9-11, 2015 at Laguna Seca...it's official!