Sponsored by:

Looking at a 61 356 b coupe this Sat

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking at a 61 356 b coupe this Sat

In southern Maryland. The owner said basically that is has the wrong (200mm) fly wheel. Says is starts a runs ok. Also has "some light rust in the jack points" started out saying the original engine case came with the car but clarified it was the case that was in the car originally, so I'm waiting on serial numbers for chassis and "original" case. Replacement engine in the car now. Was rated as #1 car but not priced there at $35k. Sounds like this 61 356 may be more along the #3 or#4 range.

Is it reasonable for me to expect a good 61 B coupe driver for the $35k range? I gave up finding a 64-65 C
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 115 Posts

You need to get the "Certificate of Authenticity" from Porsche to see if the motor and trans are original to the car. If there is rust in the jack spurs then there's probably rust in the door bottoms, pans etc. 200mm flywheel is not a bad thing. It really comes down to what you want to do with the car. If you can live with it the way it is and it has the original motor and trans then the $35K is fine. If the rust will hold together for 5-10 years then just enjoy the car. If it's not the original motor and you want to repair and repaint the car you'll be upside down in a hurry.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Ok I thought there was a range the eng/chassis could fit into for authenticity. If not original eng then you would suggest a pass on this one? Sounds like the guy put the wrong fly wheel on it. He said it was not matching the starter but swore it wasn't grinding. Guessing he put a 912 FW on it. He said it would either need a starter or FW soon and the clutch was not working well but may be the cable?
Old 09-25-2014, 03:39 PM
wachen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is an appropriate range of engine numbers for each chassis, but the CoA tells you the specific engine and trans that car left the factory with. I think it may take a while to get the CoA and costs over $100.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...fauthenticity/

So the timing may or may not work for you. However, I heard you can call PCNA and ask them to confirm whether it is a number matching car. It may take a week or so. Again, I have not done this before. I read it on the 356 Registry forum.

Pricing-wise, with the current market, $35K may not be out of line considering the condition of the car. But that's just a personal opinion.
To have some reference point on pricing you could check Hagerty.com.

It goes without saying that you should get someone knowledgeable to look at the car and a PPI.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:23 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Warren gave you sound advice . A Pre Purchase Inspection is a must.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:30 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1693955

There is the ad. The owner also called it a "Porch"
Old 09-25-2014, 05:34 PM
dave292
Rennlist Member

For $35K asking it doesn't look too bad. Not a good sign though when the hose is next to the car. Makes you wonder if the cars wet or dies it have a really glossy paint job.
Go have a look with someone who knows these cars in your area. There should be a Porsche repair shop somewhere in the area. For sure join the 356 Registry.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

I have owned 4 356 and never washed one with a hose. I use a spray bottle with RO water. Not a good sign to see a hose next to that car. Guarantee there's water in the doors and hood.

That said, gotta agree...this car needs an inspection prior to purchase.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:51 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

I'm trying to decide if I skip it and not waste 5-7 hours of my life on Saturday. Guy called today and said he couldn't find the title either.

I got engine numbers and it's definitely not a matching engine that came out of the car. Still worth the trip?

Last edited by hkspwrsche; 09-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:13 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

No title no deal. Sounds like a moving target.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:21 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Spoke to the guy again and more unraveled in the details. Cancelled the trip yesterday. Guy called right back but I didn't answer. Hope who ever buys it is prepared for the worst. I think the shiny red paint and undercoat may be hiding quite a bit more there! He still is stuck on calling the engine original and acting as if that adds value when it's not the original case that came with the car from the factory.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:32 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

One thing to keep in mind in the current state of the market is the seller is very important…meaning do they provide fairly complete and accurate information upfront, do they respond to any detailed questions promptly and completely, etc., etc. There have been a number of cars recently being sold on Rennlist by Rennlist members (some very long standing) and the seller did not provide some very important information in the original listing (like salvage title or an accident) until called out by others. It is just not worth dealing with sellers like that.

As to finding any 356 for $35K there are going to be some stories…or a lot of stories. Matching numbers will offer potential long term upside but if you are just going to drive it and not put money into restoring it, just maintenance type items, it's not that important as long as price reflects the state of the car.

I think the sweet spot right now is a 356 that was restored correctly, maybe was a #1 a few years ago but has been driven some and is now a #2 car, but that is not a $35k 356.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 61 356 b coupe this Sat