Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston/Cylinder Sets

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston/Cylinder Sets

I am rebuilding a 1982 SC that had been sitting up for at least 15 years. I had to tear the engine down because of the usual broken head stud issues and I am having trouble coming to grips with the piston/cylinder issue, i.e. what to do about replacing the cursed Alusils. This is exacerbated by the fact that the replacement P/C sets for the '82 SC seem to be by far the most expensive out there to replace! Ordinarily this might be a no-brainer as far as modifications go, but there are some extenuating circumstances.

1. Because the area I live in lives under some "special," draconian smog rules, this car is subject to smog testing even though it is 31 years old! I could always license it as an antique and sidestep this issue, but I would prefer not to.

2. The P/O had had the engine backdated for performance, so I have the large port heads with CIS to match. He also had installed earlier HE's and a factory sport muffler; all this was before the emissions testing was started here. I do have two complete cat exhaust systems and muffler, and also the '82 CIS. I do not, however, have the original small port heads to go between those systems.

What I would like to do is rebuild the engine using the large-port heads and CIS intake, the cat system with cat, then use the Tbitz injection. I suspect this would pass emissions OK (there is no configuration inspection, just the sniffer in the tailpipe)

So, suggestions are in order. Should I bite the bullet for the swirltop CIS P/C set, or would something else fill the bill as well or better for somewhat less money. I know it's not going to be cheap - these things never are. But I think the price of the CIS P/C sets compared to the others is a bit much.

Ideas? Opinions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piston/Cylinder Sets