Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat recliner fix for my car

Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat recliner fix for my car

My fix for the auto recline syndrome. This is on a 1964 356C seat. I tried to fix my recliners on my 912 3 times. I thought I had them perfect. I hit a pothole in the middle of a hairpin turn in the mountains and found myself looking at the headliner. I decided I wasn't going to die for originality.
I'll be sending another polished aluminum set out tomorrow. The aluminum ones are 4 pounds lighter per seat.
Polished aluminum or steel and chrome. The guys doing my chrome shut down so you would have to locate your own source. If you have questions go to contact us on the toolbar.

http://www.pompolodesign.com/pompolo...formation.html
Attached Images   

Last edited by cmpski; 06-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:57 PM
P356GT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really nice workmanship on the details of these.
And that you could get them a litle custom made as well if you want to go litle more outlaw style :-)
Thx 4 givin the info about these.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For anyone else in the same situation, check out the "popper stopper" http://www.precisionmatters.biz/seat...r-stoppers.php
Old 07-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Those are a beautiful solution to this problem. I have been wondering how to fix my seats and now I know what I am going to do.

A few questions: I have two safety concerns with regards to the 356 seats. First is the fold function for entering and exiting the car and second are the head rest. Does the mechanism provide a better lock for the seat back going into the forward position for entery and egress from the back seats? Also, I noticed your 912 has some great looking head rest brackets. I have heard the factory head rest are not for safety, but for comfort or style only. Do you, or can you, build a headrest bracket which is strong enough to enhance safety?

Thanks,
--Joe
Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 PM
cmpski
Rennlist Member

As far as safety is concerned I would recommend 3 point seat belts. I use these recliners and feel as safe as one can be in one of these old light cars. I think we need to be realistic just how safe these cars really are. A blast to drive, Yes! Safe like new cars, nope.
I build these as best I can. I can't realistically test them so it's buyer beware. That said they are on my car.

The seat backs are free to go forward. My passenger seat stays upright in my car. You would need a extra bolt in your lower recliner like this early 911 Recaro sport seat in the picture to stop this movement. So far I've received no complaints from the people who have purchased them.

My factory headrests looked cool but that was the extent of their value.
I had reproduction uprights made that go into the headrests. They are of stronger stainless steel. Then we added steel to the inside of the seats, then added 2 extra hold down brackets. All the holes are drilled and tapped. My factory seats came with little pieces of sheet metal tacked to the top of the frames. Then the hold down brackets used sheet metal screws to hold them on. This allowed the headrest to flex at this point.
My headrests are strong enough for a passenger to put their seat pack with a pillow and get a good nap without the head rest flexing. Are they strong enough to withstand a strong rear end hit? I hope I never have to find out.
Attached Images    

Last edited by cmpski; 07-08-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 PM
mikes603
Intermediate

Nicely done!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Can you make headrest brackets like yours which match the Al reclining mechanism?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat recliner fix for my car