Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Needed 356A

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Needed 356A

I rebuilt the fuel pump best I could but it will not make enough pressure to fill the carbs. I think the pump valves are not holding pressure. What is the alternative that 356er's are using? New ones do not appear to be available.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM
camchain
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Handy930
I rebuilt the fuel pump best I could but it will not make enough pressure to fill the carbs. I think the pump valves are not holding pressure. What is the alternative that 356er's are using? New ones do not appear to be available.
for example: http://www.porschetechnik.com/index....product_id=238

many others do the same. if originality isn't a big deal the later B, C, 912 pump will bolt right on.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owner of this 356 does not know what he wants to do with the car long term. It gets driven very little. He wants me to get it running again and he says he will run it more often. My thought is to have him turn off the fuel and run the carbs dry each time and install an electric pump. Does this make sense and could I install the electric inline with the weak original pump?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Handy930
The owner of this 356 does not know what he wants to do with the car long term. It gets driven very little. He wants me to get it running again and he says he will run it more often. My thought is to have him turn off the fuel and run the carbs dry each time and install an electric pump. Does this make sense and could I install the electric inline with the weak original pump?
Yes, you can run an electric pump with a weak original pump (I did it at one point), or even remove the original pump completely (you need a block off plate). Here's a good supplier: http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/356_Fuel_Pumps.html. My backup electric pump is mounted under the passenger floorboard, fuel line from the fuel **** to the tunnel line is just cut and the electric pump mounted in between (add an inline fuel filer here too). Some people think its safer to mount the electric fuel pump under the car outside the cabin. Find a switched hotwire and put a toggle switch under the dash to operate the electric fuel pump (Zims has a nice one which is "on" one way and spring loaded "on" the other way when you hold it.)

It's easier to find used 356C / 912 pumps and they will work (make sure you have the right insulation block that goes with it. Zims also has good rebuild kits.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

More info: http://porsche356registry.org/resour...-1962-car.html

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Needed 356A