Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 356

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a 356

Apart from me searching endlessly on a forum that I don't really look at much, could someone point me to a thread, a book, something that would clue me in on the "in's and outs" of how to buy a 356. What should I look for? What should I steer away from?
Would like to buy one with mild restoration needed( read, not a lot of body work).
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Definitely get "Buying, Driving, and Enjoying the Porsche 356" by James E. Schrager.

Also maybe "356 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity" by Brett Johnson

It can be really tricky buying a 356 unless you really know what to look for, so do educate yourself a lot before committing. Also, definitely join the 356 Registry (best $35 you could ever spend) and check out their site (lots of info there):http://porsche356registry.org/

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a lot to know. I just came up to speed over the last year and am into my first 356 restoration although it's not an all out job. To start with I would figure out what models you like. The A's and pre A' coupes are very popular. I've never run across a car that has more WTB ads than for ads until I start hunting for a 356. If you like B coupes you are in luck because these are the least expensive. If you like open cars then you are shopping for cars with big price tags. Networking and word of mouth is the best way to find some of the more sought after models IMHO. With ads you are going to be slugging it out with everyone else. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
There is a lot to know. I just came up to speed over the last year and am into my first 356 restoration although it's not an all out job. To start with I would figure out what models you like. The A's and pre A' coupes are very popular. I've never run across a car that has more WTB ads than for ads until I start hunting for a 356. If you like B coupes you are in luck because these are the least expensive. If you like open cars then you are shopping for cars with big price tags. Networking and word of mouth is the best way to find some of the more sought after models IMHO. With ads you are going to be slugging it out with everyone else. Good luck!
Sorry for raising all the dust on this thread, but I'm finishing up a 930 EFI conversion and starting to look for my next project and looking hard at the 356.

Here's a dumb question, what's the difference between A and B coupes?

Thanks for your help
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Okay, so nobody knows the difference?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

I guess asking about a "C" would be totally outta the question
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As came first, then came B and the Cs are the last of the 356. I may be selling mine soon. Needs restoration, but it runs well, low rust and is numbers matching. Pm me if interested.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Originally Posted by niche
As came first, then came B and the Cs are the last of the 356. I may be selling mine soon. Needs restoration, but it runs well, low rust and is numbers matching. Pm me if interested.
Thanks Niche
PM sent with email addy
Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Call Klub Sports in Riviera Beach...they have a couple for sale.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Originally Posted by points
Call Klub Sports in Riviera Beach...they have a couple for sale.
Will do & Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended a tech session hosted by Cam Ingram at his shop in Raleigh (Road Scholars) last month. Cam and his crew won last year's Pebble Beach concours with a '49 Gmund coupe that they restored for the Porsche family in Germany.

Cam had a 356 that someone bought from a 'reputable dealer' (in California, I believe) that turned out to be a total mess. The owner brought it to Cam to have him fix it, after he'd paid another restoration shop major bucks to fix what was wrong with the car after he bought it (although the selling dealer (I don't have a clue who that is) swore up and down the car was 'right' - it wasn't). Cam showed those of us in attendance what was wrong with the car, which to my untrained eye appeared 'ok' - it wasn't. The car will require thousands of dollars in repairs to make it a 'safe driver'. That's all the owner really wanted to begin with.

Cam said that part of his business now is to fly around the country and look at Porsches for potential buyers. He knows what he's looking at. I might suggest that you give him a call and see 1) if he knows of any reasonably priced 356s that might be worth considering, or 2) if you have pockets that can support it, to have him look at a car that you're thinking about buying. In the long run you may save countless thousands of hard earned dollars.

Good luck.. www.road-scholars.com

Last edited by NC 997; 01-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Originally Posted by NC 997
Here's a word of advice.. I attended a tech session hosted by Cam Ingram at his shop in Raleigh (Road Scholars) last month. Cam and his crew won last year's Pebble Beach concours with a '49 Gmund coupe that they restored for the Porsche family in Germany.

Cam had a 356 that someone bought from a 'reputable dealer' (in California, I believe) that turned out to be a total mess. The owner brought it to Cam to have him fix it, after he'd paid another restoration shop major bucks to fix what was wrong with the car after he bought it (although the selling dealer (I don't have a clue who that is) swore up and down the car was 'right' - it wasn't). Cam showed those of us in attendance what was wrong with the car, which to my untrained eye appeared 'ok' - it wasn't. The car will require thousands of dollars in repairs to make it a 'safe driver'. That's all the owner really wanted to begin with.

Cam said that part of his business now is to fly around the country and look at Porsches for potential buyers. He knows what he's looking at. I might suggest that you give him a call and see 1) if he knows of any reasonably priced 356s that might be worth considering, or 2) if you have pockets that can support it, to have him look at a car that you're thinking about buying. In the long run you may save countless thousands of hard earned dollars.

Good luck.. www.road-scholars.com
Thanks NC997, that's great advise and I'm there are private folks & dealers all over the place that misrepresent antique p-cars knowingly or unknowingly...Buyer Beware!

I'm looking for a restoration project, so I expect the car I'll end up with will be a basket case...hard to misrepresent that
RC
Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainCalf

Here's a dumb question, what's the difference between A and B coupes?

Thanks for your help
Lots of differences. See here: http://porsche356registry.org/resour...56-models.html
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 AM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
That's a great guide & thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Global Autosports
Banned

We have 9 for sale right now - http://globalautosports.com/model/272/Porsche-356

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 356