Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Clear Bra Install....

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Thoughts on Clear Bra Install....

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see what people's opinions were on having a clear bra installed for a freshly restored and painted 356?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check that the installer has experience w/ the type of paint used on your car, & that the manufacturer of the clear material certifies that it is compatable w/ the paint system used. I'd allow the paint to completely cure before applying any adhesive material. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:47 AM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 288 Posts

If you do wrap the car, you want one piece of material per body panel, no seams, and the edges wrapped. You might consider front bumper, front fenders, and the hood as a starting point.

Done properly, the clear bra is nearly invisible. The problem is finding someone who can do a proper free-hand job rather than just using one of the pre-cut kits.

Try one of the following:
West Coast (Bay Area or LA) - Premier Mobile Group
East Coast - Detailing Dynamics
I think their is a place in Salt Lake City that is pretty good too.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:56 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, it's 2016. Has anyone wrapped their 356? I would like to drive my car and not worry so much about stone chips. I did it for the modern 911.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Reminds me of my Aunt Frollie in Coffeville,Mississippi. She had all of her furniture draped with clear plastic. We thought she had a screw loose.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Walt L
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a timely subject, I was thinkin of doing the same thing...
Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at 2 shops in the bay area:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/premier-pro...tional-fremont
and
https://www.yelp.com/biz/elite-auto-films-fremont

I ended up on this thread as I am continuing my research. I'm leaning towards the first link due to the clarity of the film. I've visited both facilities and saw the work they've both done.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my newly painted/restored 964.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:30 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

djbooya,

You should take ked's suggestion seriously, regarding waiting for your paint to cure before doing this.

When you say "newly painted",.. how long has it been?

If it's anything less than 6 months, I would wait. The gases need to escape & paint to cure / harden fully before putting a clear on top.

=Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 11:38 AM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
djbooya,

You should take ked's suggestion seriously, regarding waiting for your paint to cure before doing this.

When you say "newly painted",.. how long has it been?

If it's anything less than 6 months, I would wait. The gases need to escape & paint to cure / harden fully before putting a clear on top.

=Steve
It's been about 3 months.. When I talked to the shop that did the paint work they seemed to believe it was fully cured. I have no issue waiting a few more months if that's safer..
Old 10-05-2016, 07:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by djbooya
It's been about 3 months.. When I talked to the shop that did the paint work they seemed to believe it was fully cured. I have no issue waiting a few more months if that's safer..
That's up to you of course. And I am sure many people have different opinions on the right length of time to wait. Paint shops probably know best since they have the most experience with various paint brands, etc,.... BUT

But why take any chances. If it were me,.. & there was any chance at all,... many years down the road if & when you attempt to pull the clear film off, that my paint could lift,... then I would ADD several months to their timeline.

Cuz the problem is that once the clear is ON the car,... it's gonna stay that way for many many years (maybe even decade or more),... so when it DOES come time to pull that clear off & have it re-done,... is that same paint shop gonna warrant any issues with paint pulling off the primer when you pull the clear off? I doubt it. They will claim that the clear was removed poorly, or that the sun baked it on, and they can't be held responsible.

You're the only one who can decide how conservative you want to be.

Best,
=Steve
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
That's up to you of course. And I am sure many people have different opinions on the right length of time to wait. Paint shops probably know best since they have the most experience with various paint brands, etc,.... BUT

But why take any chances. If it were me,.. & there was any chance at all,... many years down the road if & when you attempt to pull the clear film off, that my paint could lift,... then I would ADD several months to their timeline.

Cuz the problem is that once the clear is ON the car,... it's gonna stay that way for many many years (maybe even decade or more),... so when it DOES come time to pull that clear off & have it re-done,... is that same paint shop gonna warrant any issues with paint pulling off the primer when you pull the clear off? I doubt it. They will claim that the clear was removed poorly, or that the sun baked it on, and they can't be held responsible.

You're the only one who can decide how conservative you want to be.

Best,
=Steve
Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Clear Bra Install....