Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

WOW!!! Keep the pictures coming!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Wow!

Can't wait for the next update. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM
JackW
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

The car is temporarily sprung from (as a friend of mine descibes it) Body Shop Jail while the craftsman who is doing the bodywork relocates his shop. I brought it home to clean up the interior and rework the suspension and transmission while Mike is setting up his new place. I'll have it for two or three months and then it will go back to have the nose and doors finished up. The whole back end of the car is finished and primered - there are some minor repairs required in the front wheel wells and the nose needs to be straightened. I'm scraping 52 year old sound deadening material off the floors and wire brushing everything before applying a coat of POR 15. The aft end of the passenger compartment and the engine compartment are done.

This reflects about 20 hours of work in the engine compartment and rear passenger compartment just scraping, wire brushing, sanding, cleaning and painting. Lots more to do in the floor, the underside of the roof and the trunk area - probably over 100 hours total in all - not counting all the time I've already spent on the underside of the pan...

Check out the original 52 year old floor pans - an old Porsche with no rust holes in the pan? What's up with that?

Last edited by JackW; 04-15-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, great project.

Subscribed!!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just love this thread; its been the only one Ive subscribed to in a long time! Thanks so much!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 PM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful car, and in great shape! What color are you going to have it painted?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thiers nothing like original Outlaws......what a great car..are you going to be upgrading the wheels like some modern Outlaws? i think they use the spares rims from 911s(?) (like Emory's)
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
JackW
Advanced

It's definitely going to be silver - just not sure of what exact silver yet although I'm leaning toward the silver on the Carrera GT's or the silver on the first Audi TT's (got to be a bright silver).

For wheels I'll be sticking with stock chrome 356 wheels since I'm retaining the original aluminum drums.

Although I'm not concerned with keeping the car too original I am wanting to restore it to the condition it was in when Dean Jeffires finished the original custom work on the car. I have lots of photos of the car in the old magazines I've collected to use as references. When one of these classic old school hot rods is resurrected it's always best to restore them to as it was seen back when it was in the public eye. You don't take a classic custom and try to improve or update it like George Barris did to one of the two original Monkeemobiles at last years Barrett-Jackson auction (George has been trying to take credit for that car for years - he felt like he had to put his stamp on it so he could override the Jeffries legacy).

Once I get the car a little further along I'll talk to Dean Jeffries again and see if he can provide an exact color code for the silver he painted it back in 1957.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool project !!!!!! expect to see how it ends ..!!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM
JackW
Advanced

A little progress - finished wire brushing all of the old sound deadening material off the floorboards and brushed on a coat of POR15. Now I'm working on the front trunk area. I need to weld up some mysterious holes that someone drilled in the floor of the trunk.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 AM
JackW
Advanced

Here are some pictures of the car that were taken in 1962 when Dean Jeffries had it parked outside of his shop in Hollywood. Someone was kind enough to send me copies of these pictures after reading the article about the car in the 356 Registry a few years ago. Dean had repainted the car gold shortly before he sold it to Albert Nussbaum (a bank robber on the FBI's ten most wanted list at the time). I found traces of this color under the door seals when I was stripping the car for this restoration. I was looking at a "House of Color" paint chip book at Autocolor recently and believe that this exact color is still in their catalog. I'm still planning on painting it the original silver but I thought you guys might enjoy seeing the Porsche in one of its alternate colors.

Note the chrome fan shroud on the 4-cam engine and the turned aluminum panels lining the engine compartment:

Handmade tail light lenses:

Iron Cross torsion bar covers:

Lucas flamethrowers:

Old 05-09-2008, 09:03 AM
JackW
Advanced

Here's a copy of the cover of the October 1959 Rod & Custom magazine - one of many that the car has appeared in.

I'm still looking for an issue of Car Craft from the 1959-60 time frame that's supposed to have an article on the Porsche as well as a Custom Cars Annual from either 1959 or 1960 that's supposed to have some pictures of Dean Jeffries building the car.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Jack,

Just stumbled onto this thread. All I can say is... this is fantastic!!

One question, if Dean Jeffries is still around why didn't you call on him to do the resto work? Hope not to offend you or your restorer, just curious.

And what do you do for the F-22 program?

Can't wait to see more,
Constantine
Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 PM
JackW
Advanced

I'm on the east coast - Dean's on the west coast - plus I think he'd cost too much.

I work in the Final Finishes doing Manufacturing Engineering and Corrective Action on the F-22.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Gotcha. I'm sure he would be jazzed about this if he doesn't already know about it.

And regarding your work on the F-22, very cool!

Thanks and keep posting!

Quick Reply: Starting my restoration project - 56 Carrera