My new 356

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts
Talking My new 356

Figured I might as well post here too ;-)

I managed to find a decent 57 coupe - in canada !!! It's now on a truck heading towards Florida ! the wait is killing me ;-) I posted the whole story on the 993 board (don't ask why, that's my "home" board)

Link to my post on 993 board

the color is Fjord green, relatively original and changing with the sunlight !
It needs some work but the body is sound..

PS: If anybody's got an A steering wheel for sale, please let me know !
Old 02-26-2004, 11:25 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Greg......As I commented on the 993 board, Great story of how you found a great car! Fjord is probably our favorite 356 colors. We would love to find a Speedster in that color. Or a speedster in any color that isn't priced 30 grand over what it's really worth.
Keep an eye on eBay for a steering wheel. Also Bob Campbell sells really nice ones www.356sales.com
What trucking company did you use to transport your car? We've used Intercity (great), Goldrush (horrible) and Thomas Sunday (great).
Again Congrats on your 'new' 356 and post more pics when you get it.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

D.A.S ! Dependable auto shippers.. I used them in the past for a Boxster, BMW, and 356. All of which arrived on time, in good shape, and under the price of intercity... here's hoping they keep it up this time too ! ;-)

I am really looking for a "stock" wheel - missed 2 on ebay last week as I did not realize $400 was a fair price for a worn out stock wheel in need of restoration ;-( 9yes, that is sarcasm)

The wood ones sold here and there are OK but I really really love those old white banjo wheels ! It makes the car for me! and I ain't got one ;-) Mine came with a "Lecarra" wheel, whatever that is !

PS: I'm with you on the speedster. Even regular 356s, prices are all over the map, from 14K to 35K for decent A models... Some people have the funny idea that they should get all they invested in restorations back when they sell a car ;-) I've been offered decent ones for over 30K, for pete's sake !
Old 02-26-2004, 06:17 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

nice find greg! that is my favorite color for any and all vintage porsches.
there was a 356 that color at the taj ma garaj show in dayton last year with luggage and everything!!
(sorry but i scanned 2 pics at once when i originally scanned them to save time...)

Old 02-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm, nice. I wonder if I'll go overriders on it or not. It used to have them, but now it has euro bumpers. I like the simpler euro look, but the overriders remind me of my 65 ghia, I like them too ;-)
Old 02-27-2004, 11:28 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Greg....You have a decision to make that is pretty typical for 356 owners! If the car has overriders on it, you think wow it would look great without them. If the car does not have overriders, you think wow it would look great if it had them. It's purely a personal choice and either way your car looks fantastic. It might come down to deciding if you want to be 100% authentic or a little "outlawish". Just going without overriders on a car doesn't make it an outlaw, but it does give it a certain rakish look. If you want the car to look like it came off the factory line, get the C of A from Porsche and see exactly what the car had in options (if you don't already have it).

R
Old 02-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

That problem is compounded by the fact that my car has the overrider holes in the back but they were plugged in the front!!! I might end up with 1/2 an outlaw ;-)

And apparently the car is stuck in texas, they were doing so well until now, I guess it's reached a hub and now will await a tampa truck, probably for a week ! $#$% (Ok, they never promised to deliver is early either, but I could not help hoping)
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Brett Matthews
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RTJ,
Maybe I'm a rare one, but I've never liked the looks of the overrider bars. Except for the "split" rear ones, all of them look to me as if they were tacked on.

Greg,
I'll make you an offer, you may like it or not, take it or not;
I happen to have a set of bumpers from a '59 "A", I have already sold the front overrider bar, dagnabbit!
The rear bumper is not in good shape; it has been dragged out of service station entrances and exits, so the left guard bottom is torn away, and the exhaust funnel went with it at the same time ( I guess? ), the bottom of the right guard and funnel shows being dragged, but the guard is whole, and the funnel is there, and so are the overrider bars, a "split" set. Also, the bumper was used to find those dreaded parking lot bump stops. All along the bottom is rusty and bent, but no cancerous rot. The chrome will, of course, being they've sat around since before I was 14, and I am 47 now, need to be rechromed. On the underside of the bars, pitting has started....
The front bumper is in much better shape, sans overrider bar. Yes, a couple bumps along the bottom, but in so much better shape, I was thinking to have the holes closed, and then having the bumper fitted to my '56, and painted, once I got to that point.

IF you decide to go with the overrider bars for your tub, if it'll help shorten your hunt, I would trade you both bumpers, for your front one.

Enjoy your tub, once it gets "home"! They are a blast!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
Nice tub. I love the color. The "A" body is my favorite. Happy motoring. Have Don Marks rebuild your distributor during the engine tune up process. My engine was 100% rebuilt with shasta pistons, full flow filter,etc and it had a flat spot at 2500 rpm also. After Don rebuilt the distributor, flat spot was gone. Congrats. It is a shame you did not have the car last year since the Porsche parade was in your neck of the woods. I drove the roadster from PA to Tampa and back. What great fun.
Tony

Quick Reply: My new 356