Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floppy side mirror... how to fix?

Old 11-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Floppy side mirror... how to fix?

Ok. my buddy's 1987 944 has a floppy side mirror... the top swivels almost freely. I pulled that assembly up, and it seems like the nut has backed off...

To fix it, I pull the door panel off, roll the window up so it's not blocked by glass, and then what?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Same problem here. Trying to ignore it as long as possible. I believe that you pull the skin, dismount the assembly and go from there. Also believe that you may need to either cut the wires to get the whole mirror assembly off? I might as well join the party and get it done too especially since that is another item I wish to fix prior to rennstock... hehe
Old 11-22-2005, 01:50 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and welcome to Renn! What a noob, use the search function.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Tough crowd...
Old 11-22-2005, 01:56 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
To fix it, I pull the door panel off, roll the window up so it's not blocked by glass, and then what?
Then you put the door panel back on and roll the glass up, because there is nothing in there that will help you. See 968 Aero Mirror Upgrade in sig for suggestions (just leave out the 968 parts).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:03 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Good grief.

Thanks for the link icat.

I went to San Diego once... it made me appreciate Tampa more.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody has been visiting corner-carvers a bit much.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The door panel does not need to come off, simply push the mirror all the way foward so the glass is facing outwards. You will see an allen head bolt, unscrew the bolt and the mirror can be pulled away from the door (short of the wiring harness which needs to come out).
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Man... tough crowd this morning.

I'll be nice -- if nothing is broken, but something just loosened, then you don't actually need to do the complete steps for removing the mirror housing. I'm going from memory, so the steps might be a little off.
- remove the mirror housing from the body. Swing forward the mirror and you'll find a little piece of plastic underneath which hides a 4mm allen bolt. Unscrew.
- you'll expose the underside of a spring/bolt thingy with wires coming from the mirror housing.

Your objective is to tighten this bolt. But here is the catch -- it's a 14mm or 17mm or something diameter cheesehead bolt AND it's hollow and got wires running through it. The correct procedure is to remove the whole damn housing, remove the wires, and properly tighten with the cheesehead (which is a very involved process and may involve cutting wires just to get the job done). The "not-so-correct but works somewhat" procedure is to find a flathead screw driver with a large enough head (or a pair of needlenose pliers) that will turn the cheesehead but make sure you do so without stripping the threading.

It's also possible that this spring/bolt thing is broken -- rather than have just loosened -- in which case you will have to remove the whole thing.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

BTDT. OK, Geoff, what you REALLY need to do is - remove the mirror and tighten the nut. Easier said than done.

As noted, you have to remove the mirror from the door. To do this PROPERLY, the following procedure applies:

Remove mirror glass - pry with screwdriver against backing plate of mirror motor. F it up, and you can buy a new mirror too, so twist more than pry. They're held on with 3 plastic push-clips.

Remove and unplug mirror motor - 3 10mm head bolts, and one large round nylon plug underneath. The bolt heads are accessible through the metal plate that the mirror clips to.

Remove the car side of the nylon plug from the wiring harness by removing every pin using an extraction tool. Don't get too uptight about remembering the wire colors; they match up, naturally, with the motor side of the connector.

NOW you can remove the mirror from the door, using the 5mm allen cap head screw as noted above (push the mirror fully forward). I recommend using a long allen head socket or t-handle allen key to minimize the risk of stripping the allen head - they like to corrode in there.

Once you've unbolted the mirror from the door, you have to feed the wires, individually, through the pivot post of the mirror, and then the housing comes free.

Now you can see that if you take a 3/8" socket extension and ratchet to it you will be able to tighten up that loose nut-like thing that will tighten the pivot and keep the mirror firmly attached. Do it before the mirror falls off completely!

Assembly is pretty much the obverse. BTW, this is an EXCELLENT TIME to a) replace those mirror gaskets, and b) bead-blast and powder-coat the mirrors, if you can match the color. As noted at 944Fest (remember Brian and Judi's 944 with the pristine mirrors?), Guards Red is nearly perfectly matched by the Eastwood color Bright Red. I'm sure black would be equally easy to match.

Good luck...
Old 11-22-2005, 02:58 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, more posts than I, and yet less to say...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Guys, Kevin's a good guy, just givin me ****e... give him a break... Kevin and I go way back....
Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh in that case...

Glad we got that clarified. ROFLMAO
Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 924RACR
BTDT. OK, Geoff, what you REALLY need to do is - remove the mirror and tighten the nut. Easier said than done.

As noted, you have to remove the mirror from the door. To do this PROPERLY, the following procedure applies:

Remove mirror glass - pry with screwdriver against backing plate of mirror motor. F it up, and you can buy a new mirror too, so twist more than pry. They're held on with 3 plastic push-clips.

Remove and unplug mirror motor - 3 10mm head bolts, and one large round nylon plug underneath. The bolt heads are accessible through the metal plate that the mirror clips to.

Remove the car side of the nylon plug from the wiring harness by removing every pin using an extraction tool. Don't get too uptight about remembering the wire colors; they match up, naturally, with the motor side of the connector.

NOW you can remove the mirror from the door, using the 5mm allen cap head screw as noted above (push the mirror fully forward). I recommend using a long allen head socket or t-handle allen key to minimize the risk of stripping the allen head - they like to corrode in there.

Once you've unbolted the mirror from the door, you have to feed the wires, individually, through the pivot post of the mirror, and then the housing comes free.

Now you can see that if you take a 3/8" socket extension and ratchet to it you will be able to tighten up that loose nut-like thing that will tighten the pivot and keep the mirror firmly attached. Do it before the mirror falls off completely!

Assembly is pretty much the obverse. BTW, this is an EXCELLENT TIME to a) replace those mirror gaskets, and b) bead-blast and powder-coat the mirrors, if you can match the color. As noted at 944Fest (remember Brian and Judi's 944 with the pristine mirrors?), Guards Red is nearly perfectly matched by the Eastwood color Bright Red. I'm sure black would be equally easy to match.

Good luck...

Vaughn, looks good. thanks. BTW, this is on a friend's 944 and it's a metalic navy blue, so it'd be difficult to powdercoat. Also, Vaughn, you should specify that the mirror attachment methods are different between early/late 924's and early/late 944's as well... the 924S and late 944 have the ring lock holding in the glass.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thank's Goeff.

Tough crowd?? If that's the case I would have skipped the introduction and just stuck one of those little RTFM boogers up htere and been done

I have stacks of procedures/pics/printouts and a trash can full of links to sites with even more info for my 968 mirror install, the info is out there. The fix can be as simple as Jon's or a dificult as Vaughans.

It looks like Vaughaun had some spare time on his hands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Floppy side mirror... how to fix?