Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A runs better/pulls harder with TPS unplugged...?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:44 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N/A runs better/pulls harder with TPS unplugged...?!?!

Hey gang,

So a new can of worms. After noticing my TPS was unplugged, I naturally plugged it back in.

But...now the car pings again in the high end or at WOT.

I unplugged the TPS and went for another test drive, and the car does not ping if the TPS is unplugged. It also seems to pull harder.

The TPS is brand new. Any ideas?!

I still didn't positively identify that random plug, either...see my other post!!! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How does the TPS connector wiring look? Maybe it's damaged somewhere.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the NA, the TPS consists of two switches, one closes at Idle and the other closes at WOT. My guess is one of your switches in the TPS is broke, and the DME is bring told that you are always in one mode (say idle) and the DME is using the incorrect fuel map when you are not at idle. It is easy to check the TPS but it is even easier to replace it. I bet it has a few years and miles under its belt.

With the TPS unplug, the DME is alway thinking you are somewere between idle and WOT...and I bet you are most of the time.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:59 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, like I said, this TPS is brand new. It's been in the car for about a month. And when I installed it initially, the car ran much better, so the old TPS was certainly messed up.

I have also been suspecting my DME fuel pump relay, as the car has been randomly cutting out and even occaisionally shutting itself off on the freeway.

Could a failing DME fuel pump relay cause a lean-running problem at WOT? If so, this might explain the pinging, but I don't know if this could be related or not. What do you guys think??
Old 06-12-2005, 12:36 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The TPS disables the O2 sensor at WOT. Richer mix. You are getting a lean condition for some reason. Perhaps a vacuum leak after the throttle valve, a messed up AFS or one of the temp sensors is out of spec.

The 83
Old 06-12-2005, 02:03 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm betting the harness is burned through someplace. Those things get very brittle - especially the routing directly over the head / upper balance shaft housing. I'd check that area for breaks / burnthrough. Maybe it's an easy fix. In any case, I'd recommend some sort of thermal wrap on the harness once it's back together - which reminds me I want to do that on mine. BTW I don't have spare DME relay either; sorry I forgot to respond sooner. . .
Old 06-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeahh.... Im gonna need those TPS reports ASAP

Quick Reply: N/A runs better/pulls harder with TPS unplugged...?!?!