Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire for 997?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:04 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spare Tire for 997?

Does anyone have any info on purchasing a spare tire (hopefully space saver) for the 997? The added weight is not a welcomed thought but theoretically it could fit in the trunk for long hauls and add peace of mind especially in remote areas where my cell phone says "no signal available".
Old 02-08-2005, 12:34 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you saying that bottle of fix-a-flat doesn't inspire confidence?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gradyex
Does anyone have any info on purchasing a spare tire (hopefully space saver) for the 997? The added weight is not a welcomed thought but theoretically it could fit in the trunk for long hauls and add peace of mind especially in remote areas where my cell phone says "no signal available".
Space saver spare not including jack from Sunset Porsche (cost + 15%) is somewhere around $700 per quote this morning.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gradyex
I was down at Sunset very seriously thinking about a new 997 and the fact that the there is no spare tire was an issue for me. The sales person just blew that off which is typical of Porsche sales people. I asked if one could be special ordered for me thru the factory. In other words have one fitted for an additional cost thru their dreams department. More snotty and patronizing answers...but I did get a response "i'll let you know"...we'll see...

...but how were you thinking of having it mounted in the 997?

I think its a real valid issue because there are a lot of people that I know of that think a spare rather than a can of fix a flat is a real important thing...

Thx...

Jim
Old 02-08-2005, 03:06 AM
gradyex
Racer

Jim I am giving it some real thought and guess it fits somewhere in the front trunk. Never owned a 996 so I assume that's where it goes? I don't like the additional weight but its either get a spare or a better cell phone! Cheers.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Unfortunately, as tires get bigger, spares are quickly becoming things of the past. The C5 Corvette, Mini, and M3 haven't had spares for years. In an effort to keep weight down, cargo space up, and wheels larger in both diameter and width, the spare was bound to disappear in Porsche's sports cars. At least Porsche offers a spare through the parts department for those that can't live without one; none of the other vehicles mentioned have one readily available.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:17 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

If you look at the parts list for a 997 or a 987 a spare is listed. A mechanic at my local dealer ordered one for a 997 owner after the owner got a flat. The mechanic said it would not fit in the trunk. Strange because it is listed for a 997/987. Might have to pull out some of the plastic stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2005, 06:35 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Originally Posted by JimPDX
...but how were you thinking of having it mounted in the 997?...
I don't know if it is an extra expense or included in the price of the spare, but I think the space saver spare fits into a canvas sack with velcro closure on flap. I think that this assemblage attaches somehow to the plastic stuff in the front trunk.

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
If you look at the parts list for a 997 or a 987 a spare is listed. A mechanic at my local dealer ordered one for a 997 owner after the owner got a flat. The mechanic said it would not fit in the trunk. Strange because it is listed for a 997/987. Might have to pull out some of the plastic stuff.
This sounds strange to me as what I believe is the same spare fit in the 996. I wouldn't think the plastic stuff would need to be removed. I got a feeling that Porsche didn't design a spare option at the sacrifice of the Navigation DVD read device. Jeff in parts at Sunset, 800 346-0182, will figure this out and sell you the equipment at cost +15%.

Last edited by Richard in Colorado; 02-09-2005 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

The spare listed for the 997/987 is the kind you have to inflate. Like what is used on a C4S. 996 362 020 02 is the part number. I would not believe it would not fit except I have known the mechanic for 6 years and he happens to be the PCA tech advisor for several models, including the 997. Maybe there is some trick that Porsche has not told the dealers yet.

Same spare is listed for a 987 which has the same front trunk. Except the literature that came out for the 987 before it was released says there is an optional spare for the rear trunk. No way a spare would fit in the rear trunk of a Boxster.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 AM
VS1
Intermediate

Will you be using the car primary for transportation and street driving? If so [and if available in the size you need], are you totally against going with run-flats, extended mobility tires, etc.? I have them on my Corvette and they're good piece of mind. They are a bit louder than normal tires but performance-wise [for normal driving] they are fine. People will complain about them, too loud, don't perform well, etc. but depends on what you want. To add to the 911, you'll need the wheel sensors and everything else associated - but you'll also keep what little trunk space you have as well. Just a thought.

Personally, I'm fine with the can of fix-a-flat. My 328 has a small spare and I still carry a can of sealant - because unless the tire blows out - I'll pump it with the sealant and limp somewhere for repair.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:10 PM
PV
Pro

I have the same experience as VS1. Have been driving around for a couple of times with "flat" tires. I see that there are more and more car and tire manufacturers coming with that option. Drivability wise they are less, but I'm sure they make improvements in that area too.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard in Colorado
...as what I believe is the same spare fit in the 996.
The 987/997 have a larger overall wheel diameter than the 986/996. I'm quite sure using the smaller spare specified for those cars would give the traction control fits.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
gradyex
Racer

Smile

Thanks for all your responses. I took Richard's advice and called Sunset Porsche for a quote. I spoke with Jeff and aparently the 997 has a "collapsable" full spare tire that will soon be an actual option for the 997 (option 447?) The kit comes complete with jack and collapsable tire + other misc parts to mount in the trunk and runs $728.00 complete + shipping. Don't ask me what "collapsable" means but he informed me that the rim has to be different than the 996 and Porsche should have these OEM kits here in the US by the end of the week but some "parts" of the kit are back ordered and are at least a month away (foam part for the jack i believe). The part I don't like is the weight (@40 lbs). I take my car for weekend drives mostly and I like crusing the backroads in areas remote where I usually get "no signal" on my cell. I guess this is the only way to do it if a spare is a big concern, otherwise keep your fingers crossed that the stuff in the can will do the trick. For me its peace of mind that many other 997 owners are concerned about so I went ahead and ordered it. I don't care for run flats at this point and love the Michelin Pilots. BTW I owned a C5 vette with run flats and unless they have improved tremendously I really don't like the ride or handling compared to the stock Michelins. For $250.00 my brother has a "doughnut type" spare for his 2003 M3 that only weights 25 lbs. No such luck with the 997 probably due a host of factors. I'll post more when it arrives. Cheers.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

Default Let's put together names for a volume discount

Thank you gradyex for all your leg work on this one. I'd be happy to put together names for a possible volume discount on this item.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM
PV
Pro

Looking forward to your experience. Any internet site yet where we can see the collapsable tire?

I have to say that is very convinient to drive with run flats (and even cool to drive for a week with two "flat" tires), but have to agree that the Pilots are running better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Tire for 997?