Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Tested The New Toyo RR's?....

Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone Tested The New Toyo RR's?....

Searched but didn't find anything. I know Spec Boxster's are using them this year, we (POC) have another spec class that's considering them. We'd like to hear of any comparisons to RA1's or R888's....

Thanks in advance....

JRG
Old 01-20-2014, 01:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Spent two days last week at Chuckwalla testing RR's to RA-1's on an under 2:00 2.5 liter 914/6 GT. The RR's are very good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

John my thoughts on the R888, RR, RA1.

R888 = not very good tire. Heat cycles out very early in life of the tire. Know a lot of guys that won't touch them.

RA1 = Not the same RA1 that you could run to the cords and still be fast like the Nitto NT01, but good tire especially in the rain

RR = on a track like chuckwalla they are 3-4 seconds a lap faster, maybe 2 seconds at Willow Springs or AAA. Doesn't last as long as RA1 and you can't flip them or rotate them like the RA1. They had a lot of tread separation early on until the mounting issues were explained and understood. Basically they can only be run on one corner of the car or cross mounted. Need more negative camber as they are more like a hoosier than a traditional toyo. Tire budgets need to be hiked up as a result as compared to the spec RA1 tires for the above stated reasons. Works and wears well on a light car (944 spec) not as much on a heavier car

Hope that helps
Old 01-20-2014, 02:14 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^very helpful, thank you.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

R888 = not very good tire. Heat cycles out very early in life of the tire. Know a lot of guys that won't touch them.

RA1 = Not the same RA1 that you could run to the cords and still be fast like the Nitto NT01, but good tire especially in the rain

RR = on a track like chuckwalla they are 3-4 seconds a lap faster, maybe 2 seconds at Willow Springs or AAA. Doesn't last as long as RA1 and you can't flip them or rotate them like the RA1. They had a lot of tread separation early on until the mounting issues were explained and understood. Basically they can only be run on one corner of the car or cross mounted. Need more negative camber as they are more like a hoosier than a traditional toyo. Tire budgets need to be hiked up as a result as compared to the spec RA1 tires for the above stated reasons. Works and wears well on a light car (944 spec) not as much on a heavier car

Hope that helps
Agreed. RR characteristics more like Hoosier than the others...
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RR's like camber.
Typically ran 2.75 on the fronts of the 944 SP1, now try to get as much as I can. (over 3)

Much quicker than the RA1's (888's were a bad memory for SP1) I typically see 16-18 cycles before they are corded. My fastest laps were just before they corded at TA this year. I have worn them out before they felt heat cycled out on every set I've run.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope that helps
What he said ^^^
Old 01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

All the 944specs made the switch mid last year, and immediately shifted the whole pack up 2 seconds across the board. Still not as fast as a R6, but given the wear probably faster average over the life of the tire....
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 AM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fall off is very gradual on the RR's unlike the Hoosier's which are very abrupt.....
Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Hope that helps
I'll add, only as a footnote, that I don't think the NT01 has the old incremental improvement right up to the end characteristic any more, either. I think Toyo changed something in the manufacturing process when they started up the R888 and -- since bringing the RA1 back -- haven't fully gone back to the old process for either the RA1 or the NT01. It's pure speculation on my part, but I've been running NT01s on the same car for a long time.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Are they gonna make any sizes other than 275s for 18s??? Us RS guys would like some 245s and some 325s/335s.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I'll add, only as a footnote, that I don't think the NT01 has the old incremental improvement right up to the end characteristic any more, either. I think Toyo changed something in the manufacturing process when they started up the R888 and -- since bringing the RA1 back -- haven't fully gone back to the old process for either the RA1 or the NT01. It's pure speculation on my part, but I've been running NT01s on the same car for a long time.
Agreed. Mine were working beautifully and things changed abruptly when it became a full slick. There is literally no grip left. They aren't corded yet, so I assumed they would be at their absolute fastest, but I don't find that to be the case.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:38 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
Agreed. Mine were working beautifully and things changed abruptly when it became a full slick. There is literally no grip left. They aren't corded yet, so I assumed they would be at their absolute fastest, but I don't find that to be the case.
Which tire are you talking about?...
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 163 Posts

So, are they at their best on the first heat cycle like R6s or do they get better up to a point. How many heat cycles do you get while they are competitive.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 73 Posts

^^The BIG question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Tested The New Toyo RR's?....