Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Becker CR-210 Aux Input for Ipod/Iphone

Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Becker CR-210 Aux Input for Ipod/Iphone

First let me say that I'm not stereo expert or music purist. I have been trying to come up with a simple way to play my Ipod or Iphone through the CR-210 and keep the 6 CD changer and the factory stock look of the radio. I also wanted to avoid getting into the wiring of the radio or under the dash.

I called Becker in New Jersey and spoke to a gentlman named Ed Ebel. Becker's contact info is:

Becker Autosound
101 US Highway 46 West
Second Floor
Saddle Brook, NJ 07663
201-773-0976

Ed said that if the radio was sent to them, their techs could add a 3.5 mm female plug in the face of the radio in the existing knockout on the upper right side of the radio. The aux circuit they install cuts out the radio function when the plug is installed from the Ipod. The Ipod can be then used and the radio volume and tone functions are functional.

When the aux cable plug is removed the radio functions as normal. Also, he said that the signal from the Ipod goes through the tuner and is 'not modulated'. I guess this is good for sound quality?

I just received the radio from Becker and wanted to get a good picture before it goes back in the dash. Note the silver plug in the radio face. Of course the 6 CD changer wll still stay in place. This set-up does not provide charging for the Ipod, but that is not a concern of mine.

This may be a simple solution for others like me who want to use their Ipod or Iphone and keep it simple. Cost was about $115.00 plus shipping. By the way, I tried to get Becker to come up with an input fitting and nut in anodized black so it would be invisible in the radio face..... they weren't helpful with that request.

I'll get the radio back in this weekend and see how it all works and report back.
Attached Images  

Last edited by mike cap; 05-04-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Add Info
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,

That looks like a great solution. I'm interested to hear how it works for you as I'm looking for a smiliar solution.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm sorry to say I don't find this to be a particularly elegant solution. That jack doesn't look great on the radio and it adds wire clutter around the center console and shifter.

The simplest alternative solution if you have a CD changer is to connect an RCA cable from the CD changer to your iPod.

If you don't have a CD changer you could get a CR-220 off eBay (I found one for $35) and hard wire it from the back since that radio allows for an Aux input. It provides a superior sound and cleaner look.

If you would like to keep the CR-210 you could get a box that plugs in the CD changer port in the back of the radio and controls the iPod from the radio dials. It's in the $200 range.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^

Thats what I did.. I have the nav version, but the Aux connects in the back. I have a wire hanging from the back and can plug in whatever.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That 3.5mm jack wouldn't bother me one bit. I think it's a dandy solution.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by levtron
^^^^^^

Thats what I did.. I have the nav version, but the Aux connects in the back. I have a wire hanging from the back and can plug in whatever.
How is the sound quality? Looking forward to trying the unit this weekend.

I may buy a spare face plate from Becker just to have in case I want to switch the radio back to OEM. I am not crazy about the jack, but thought it was worth a shot.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Once you've used Bluetooth you'll never want to go with a wired solution. However, you'd have to go with an aftermarket radio.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM
wazapng
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable solution

Anyone try this one?

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKRCD.html

I know it kills the cd changer, but 80gig iPod sorts that out pretty quick.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Guys,

Installed the radio and checked the Ipod operation. Works as advertised and sounds pretty good..... seems like an easy solution and reversible. Sounds good to my non-musical ear.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I just got my radio back from them too. I didn't like the look of the jack on the face (needs to be black), so I had them wire it through the rear of the radio. In theory, great idea but they give 4' of lead coming off the radio back and 8" of lead from connecting block to Iphone/pod. Seems like it should have been the other way around. I mounted the block on the passenger side of the center tunnel, tucked under the dash so its not noticeable normally but its easily accessible to plug the connector into it. Sound great, would like the volume to go to "11", tends to be a tick shy of ear splitting loud (which I sometimes need ). The one upside to the short connector, lead me to realize the Iphone fits beautifully in the ashtray! Score
Beats the tape in the deck with the wire hanging out connecting my phone
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Chris,

I agree the fitting should be black. I'll use it as for now and get a spare faceplate to have just in case I want to reverse it. I'm not much for the 'non factory' look either. I'm sure the only one that will be bothered by the aux jack is me.... no one else will notice it.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
993inNC
Race Car

My original thought when it was proposed to me was, those not in the know wouldn't think twice about it. Then I saw and thought.......if you're buying these cars, you KNOW what it should look like. And then I saw the pic on their site and that when the guy says "hey we can wire it to the back....." And knew that was the way for me. Here's what I did.

Last edited by 993inNC; 06-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
dalehelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wazapng
Anyone try this one?

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKRCD.html

I know it kills the cd changer, but 80gig iPod sorts that out pretty quick.
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you very much. I hope I can help you one day.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dalehelman
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you very much. I hope I can help you one day.
Too bad that doesn't help those of us W/O CD changers.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I'm sorry to say I don't find this to be a particularly elegant solution. That jack doesn't look great on the radio and it adds wire clutter around the center console and shifter.

The simplest alternative solution if you have a CD changer is to connect an RCA cable from the CD changer to your iPod.

If you don't have a CD changer you could get a CR-220 off eBay (I found one for $35) and hard wire it from the back since that radio allows for an Aux input. It provides a superior sound and cleaner look.

If you would like to keep the CR-210 you could get a box that plugs in the CD changer port in the back of the radio and controls the iPod from the radio dials. It's in the $200 range.
im gona look for a CR220

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Becker CR-210 Aux Input for Ipod/Iphone